Full Thread: Beer review
View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2008 #67
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Donnie in Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee jane View Post
I am not a beer drinker. Tried it many, many years ago. My main reaction was that I did not like all that gassy regurgitation effect (drank part of one beer and had beer with me all day... ). I did once have a dark German beer in a restaurant and it had pretty good flavor and body. I have never bothered buying or checking out beer further because there are so many different types and brands I would have no idea where to start - and it seems to be worse today. I walk into the market and the beer aisle is staggering! I really don't want to buy six pack after six pack trying different beers I will end up not liking.

Can someone provide a brief description of just what the difference is between ales, lagers, pilsners, etc. and what brands you think are the best? You've all listed different brands here but it is like the market ... a very long list indeed. Where to start????

Thanks for any suggestions and info!

Glad to. A lot of the better beers are "bottle conditioned", which means they carbonate naturally in the bottle. A whole lot less "gassy" as you described. Most mass produced beer has the Co2 injected.

All ale is beer, but not all beer is ale. Read that again...lol.

Ale is brewed with top-fermenting yeast, and at warmer temps. Lager (Pilsner is a form of lager) is brewed with bottom-fermenting yeast. Just do a search on "ale vs lager" and you will have more information that you will ever need.

As for what is best, it depends on what you like. Some beer is very "hoppy" or bitter, some is malty.

Ale can be an acquired taste, so I would suggest starting with lagers/pilsners.

A good lager? Sam Adams is decent beer, and widely available. Summit makes an excellent lager, as does Goose Island. Pilsner Urquell is probably the premier pils available.

Lots of breweries put out a "sample pack" with several different styles in one sixer or twelve. Easy way to try several beers/styles without buying a sixer of everything.

Beer is much, much more than Budweiser and Miller Lite.

Enjoy the trip.