View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2020 #9
Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry the Raysiss View Post

In fact today I made a London broil cut of meat cooked in the slow cooker with cream of mushroom soup as the "gravy". IMHO, that's hard to beat with some mashed potatoes. Just got done eating it and I'm stuffed.
I've used london broil cuts as meat for pot roast as well, and it comes out pretty good. It's a relatively cheap cut of meat too. I sear the meat in an iron skillet, salt and black pepper rub, and then make a gravy in the skillet out of dried onion soup mix, and caramelized onions. Crush up some fresh garlic, and stuff it inside of the meat in a few spots.

Slow cook it for a few hours, and then toss in the potatoes, carrots, and let it all cook till done. I got a dutch oven for stuff like this. I've also used canned french onion soup for the base. Talking like $10-$12 worth of food here that could easily feed 5 people. And you can use the leftovers the very next day to make beef stew. And freeze that into portions in a ziplock bags, and heat it up and eat it for awhile. Nothing goes to waste even if you got lots of leftovers. Beef stew heats up from frozen quite nicely. Some beef stew I made 2 months ago from a pot roast is what I ate for dinner today.

I've also taken a big chunk of pork butt and slow cooked it in a dutch oven for about 8hrs. You can take a fork, shred it up and make pulled pork BBQ sandwiches. You can freeze the leftovers. I've taken leftover pulled pork and made pork taco meat out of it. Season it and simmer it down just like you would with ground beef.

I don't know if it's because there's a bunch of kikes in my area or if Jethro is observing a strict kosher diet, or what, but most of the meat in the markdown sections at the grocery store is pork. Works for me, because pork is one of my favorite meats anyway. I see quality cuts of pork tenderloin with huge markdowns all the time. I'm talking like a $30 chunk of pork tenderloin marked down to $8. I can take that to the deli and ask them to slice it in 1" thick cuts, and I've got enough pork chops to feed 10 people, easily.

Last edited by Crowe; December 27th, 2020 at 02:52 AM.