Alex Linder
Administrator

[Letter circulated by Eric Thomson, written by CM Mathey, [email protected] .]

Sent: 29 January 2008
To: '[email protected]'

Subject: Whites urged to condemn killings W/Argus 26/1

To the editor:

Dear Sir,

I read the comments of the SA Institute of Race Relations asking Whites to condemn the killings of Blacks in Swartruggens and had to shake my head.

I will condemn any murder from any quarter, however will not accept selective morality. In the last 14 years, 30 000 Whites were murdered in this country by Black people without an apology from those Black organisations. A young demented White kills four Black people and the press, the television is full of it, shouting racism over the roofs. But those 30 000 Whites are just statistics. The press and TV mostly ignore them. More than 1600 farmers and families were murdered in the most gruesome manner and the only things they got were a few lines at the bottom of some inside pages and were never mentioned on TV. After all they were only Whites. But I have seen the photos of some of those murders: a school boy in uniform hanging by the neck, a baby wrapped in newspapers and set alight, women raped and killed, old people battered to death, etc. Not pretty pictures to show the world. Kill the Boer, kill the farmer said the late Peter Mokaba, an advice followed by some of his followers. It is said that when a White man kills a Black man, it is racism, but if a Black man kills a White man, it is liberation. But if a Black man kills another Black man, it is Africa! I suppose that a White man killing Black people is news, because so few Whites do such things. It is so out of the normal pattern of things, that it must be splashed all over the media, while the opposite is so common that it is not worth reporting. This is racism of the worst kind, for it discriminate against sections of the population who are generally well behaved in favour of those whose behavior is criminal. If the SAIRR feels that it must apologise, so be it. Why should, for example, the entire Catholic Church apologise for a crime committed by one of its members? So why should a race be responsible for the misdeeds of one of its own. Maybe, on the other hand we should. After all there are so few of us who are criminals, that it would not take long. That of course on condition that all Black organisations and government spokesmen apolgise for every murder and mayhem caused gby their people to Whites South Africans. They would all spend their entire life on their knees. 30 000 dead, that is a lot of people to apologise for.

I do feel for those people who lost their loved ones but I feel also for those of all races whose life has been destroyed by criminals who, it seems, can strike with impunity as they are protected by our so called justice system.

C.M. MATHEY
BELLVILLE
[South Africa]