View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2020 #7
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiatrix View Post
I have a friend who told me his family's bloodhound, Beauregard, would bark like crazy when negroes walked by their house. This was in 1950s Maryland, outside of DC. It's the South, albeit not part of the former Confederacy.

I didn't believe him. I have always been told dogs, as well as other animals, are colorblind. Where I grew up, there were no negroes, but our obese sheltie, who my mum tied up to an antique milk can on our front steps because he was farting, tried to go after a jogger once. It was embarrassing and hilarious at the same time.

Almost 20 years ago, I saw a spaniel leashed up outside a coffeehouse. A black mailman walked by and it started barking like crazy. When I got to it, it was very friendly and let me pet it. A black woman coming in the other direction said to the owner, who had rushed out embarrassed, "Oh I guess it's true what they say about dogs and mailmen." The dog didn't bark at her. It's black men. I have pet numerous dogs who get weird when a black guy walks past.
Actually, many species of dogs can distinguish colors,albeit not as well as a host of other animals. I recently read an article on canine color recognition but I don't recall which portion of the visual spectrum of color is easiest for the majority of dogs to distinguish. I'm leaning towards red and blue but I might be wrong. And, it's been over 50 years since I had my last course in zoology.

One thing dogs might go insane over is a nigger's odor.