View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2014 #81
Johan
Banned

May urged to ban Jobbik meeting

21-01-2014

The Home Secretary has been urged to stop an extreme Hungarian nationalist party from hosting a gathering in London this weekend.

London Assembly member Andrew Dismore has written to Theresa May demanding that Gabor Vona, the leader of the right-wing party Jobbik, is banned from holding the event.

Mr Vona is meeting members of Greece's Golden Dawn party - who have openly expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler - and the British National Party (BNP) in Holborn, central London, on Sunday, campaign group Hope Not Hate said.

Mr Dismore, who as a Labour MP founded Holocaust Memorial Day and chaired parliament's Joint Committee on Human Rights, told the Jewish News that Jobbik is "the most powerful outwardly fascist political party in Europe".

In his letter to the Home Secretary he said: " I have no doubt that all decent thinking people in London will join with me in demanding that the Home Secretary says 'No to Jobbik' ".

"While I advocate the right to free speech in our society, this must also be balanced against other human rights.

"It is particularly important to note that his event is being held on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day when the offence of his meeting will be all the more damaging."

Earlier this month BNP leader Nick Griffin told the Associated Press that his party was likely to forge an alliance with the two parties after the European Parliament elections in in May.

Mr Griffin travelled to Athens to support Golden Dawn, which has seen a surge in popularity during the country's financial crisis, following accusations it is a criminal organisation.

The party deny any involvement in frequent street attacks against immigrants and other violence.

http://news.uk.msn.com/may-urged-to-ban-jobbik-meeting