View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2008 #741
Roberto Muehlenkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychologicalshock View Post
1 a: being in accordance with reason <a reasonable theory> b: not extreme or excessive <reasonable requests> c: moderate, fair <a reasonable chance> <a reasonable price> d: inexpensive
2 a: having the faculty of reason b: possessing sound judgment <a reasonable man>

It's using reason in its own definition, how can you say this is a good definition?

Okay let's go to reason:
1 a: a statement offered in explanation or justification <gave reasons that were quite satisfactory> b: a rational ground or motive <a good reason to act soon> c: a sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense; especially : something (as a principle or law) that supports a conclusion or explains a fact <the reasons behind her client's action> d: the thing that makes some fact intelligible : cause <the reason for earthquakes> <the real reason why he wanted me to stay — Graham Greene>2 a (1): the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways : intelligence (2): proper exercise of the mind (3): sanity b: the sum of the intellectual powers

Alright let's try to fit it in to your original statement

Your very statement is unreasonable since you say that Gerdes is trying to shift the burden of proof; however, if you actually knew what reasonable meant you'd know that it is reasonable that the one who provides a positive claim must provide positive evidence.
That's certainly reasonable, and captions from the source featuring the photos in question together with documentary, eyewitness and physical evidence showing what happened at the place in question and that people were murdered and burned into ashes and bone fragments there - i.e. into what the photo captions tell us is inside that mound or that glass display - are certainly positive evidence. At the very least they are prima facie evidence that the mound and the display actually contain human ashes. And prima facie evidence puts the burden of proof on who disputes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS
I thus have to doubt that you even know what reasonable means within the context you are trying to express it in.
Like so much other doubt expressed by "Revisionists", your doubt is baseless and therefore irrelevant.