View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2005 #50
centerfire

You're right about PBS, or what it used to be, anyway. I remember, as a kid back in the '80's, I got an odd enjoyment watching those strange low budget shows that came on in the middle of the day. The insipid documentaries on manufacturing plants (oil refineries, shoe factories, and shit like that) or about how cafeteria kitchens are run (with the fat ladies and their great big mixing bowls filled with slop); always with the same deadpan-voiced narrator who must have gulped 5 espressos to get through the day's reading. Guy must have made a mint!

Anyway, these were the shows you were forced to sit through in public school and it really sucked. But it was different at home. I guess because you didn't have to sit through it. I could just sit there with a popcicle and soda and just fucking zone out for an hour.

There was also the amazing painter, Bob Ross; the mellow white guy with the afro who could paint a country scene in 25 minutes that you'd think he spent a month on. Talk about something to zone out on!

But I don't watch it any more. I'm too afraid to look for fear that I'll throw the fucking set out the window.

Can't afford the dish. Strapped for cash at the moment. I don't care. I read more than anything.