Full Thread: Slavery
View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2012 #46
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
Abolition was a duplicitous tactic that Lincoln used half way through the war, when things weren't going well for the Union. He was trying to find something that might turn the tide, so he produces the Emancipation Proclaimation which only frees those slaves held in capitivity in those parts of the Confederacy still under Confederate control, but leaves all the slaves in those parts of the South not in rebellion still in bondage. He was trying to call the South's bluff. It really had no effect on the events of the war itself; just on what happened afterwards.
Well, gee, Steve...I don't know what I would've done without that aha! moment of enlightenment; really. I had no idea that "Honest Abe" was a racist at heart and, as he swore up and down and crossed his heart and hoped to die in his debates with Douglas, he had absolutely no intention of freeing the slaves; or that, once he had indeed treacherously decided to do so, he planned on shipping the motherfuckers off to Liberia or Central America. Tell me, is there anything else I'm missing -- that you can clue me into that is?

In other words: no shit, Sherlock. Still all your yadda yadda does nothing to dispel the fact that the war had the effect of ending slavery in the US -- and that's the point (along with the fact that it took a White-on-White war to free those of another race) I've trying to put across all along; so drop it.