Full Thread: #1 Garden Thread
View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2009 #83
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtozog View Post
Donnie, in our area, they have "organic road maps" and the same outfit publishes a little magazine. Both publications show the public where the organic farms and ranches are in the area, tell where tailgate markets are, etc. Maybe your area has something similar that would give you some free advertising? Or nearly free? Just an idea. I know we have used the one in our area to find things we couldn't grow.

I'm sure something like that exists here locally, as this is farm country. I'll certainly check into it, bro.

The plan is to offer picked-that-day veggies & spices that you just don't see anywhere else. Then next spring, we offer those actual plants as 3-pack seedlings.

Last night, I ordered a dozen more heirloom tomatoes (plants) online....Hawaiian Pineapple, Green Sausage, Mortgage Lifter, Purple Haze, etc. Very unique stuff. As Alex said up-thread, there seems to be thousands of varieties of tomatoes.

I'm going to create a laminated placard display for every variety we carry, which will have a picture of the tomato, along with a description of it's qualities and any historical info.

I also contacted a relative that lives within a short driving distance, and has a dozen or so mature apple trees (red delicious & granny smith) on their property. These trees get loaded with big, beautiful fruit every season. We are welcome to as many as we can take when they ripen. For free.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; June 4th, 2009 at 07:00 AM.