View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2008 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

Terry Tremaine is scheduled to make his first court appearance Feb. 25.

Accused hate-monger says he's eager for trial

Monday, January 28, 2008

A Regina man accused of promoting hatred on the internet is welcoming the chance to air his views in court.

Terry Tremaine, 59, who was at one time a math instructor with the University of Saskatchewan, was charged by the Regina police last week.

Police allege that earlier in decade he used the internet to wilfully promote hatred against Jews.

In an interview Monday,Tremaine said he will use the criminal proceedings as a platform for his views. He wants all Jews to leave Canada, calling them a "destructive force" in society.

"We want to see the issue of race put back on the table in this country. And this trial will do so," he said. "It will become a point of discussion in Canada again."

Tremaine's writings on the internet led to a complaint that took police 18 months to investigate.

"I was surprised that they charged me, because the trial will be a platform and I'm surprised that they took the chance of giving me such a platform," he said.

Tremaine said he has been told not to acquire a computer to replace the one police seized last summer. He's also been ordered to stay off the internet.

He said he is following those conditions.

Tremaine also said he is working on getting legal assistance in time for his first court appearance in February.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewa.../tremaine.html