View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2008 #52
Derrick MacThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGANMIKE View Post
I once had a instructer who taught self defence, he told me the same thing, that you can disarm someone with a knife, have you ever seen those rubber daggers they use for practise in the dojo?
Well we put it to the test, he said go for me, now remember he knows he cant get hurt as its rubber, its in his dojo, his advantage, and were both relaxed.
He dropped to the floor and started kicking at my arms and legs, while I was slashing at him.
We stopped after a min, and he said if I had my shoes on, I would have really hurt you,
I replied if I had a real knife you would have had no tendons left, and I wold have killed ya?
I said it before and I'l say it again, I wil put it to the test with anyone, I'll have a knife, and jackie chan mike tyson who ever has no weapons, and let them take the knife off me, and we'll see.
Do not judge all martial arts and martial artists on the basis of this one experience.
I am a student of Shotokan karate and I have taken a knife off a street thug.
The sequence for a standard engagement of this type goes like this: deflect, disarm, kill. This should be done and dusted well within five seconds of the appearance of the knife.
Shotokan was developed in Okinowa as an evolution of Kung Fu, where the Okinowans (who were not allowed to possess weapons) had to take down Samauri on both foot and horseback.
I am a long way from the top of the Shotokan food chain.
My Sensei used to be an army unarmed combat instructor. Shotokan is the martial art taught to members of the Japan Self Defence Force. You may find it interesting to put Shotokan into a YouTube search and watch the Japanese military video that will come up as one of the search results.
I doubt very much that anyone who attacked someone at the level of my Sensei with a knife or even a sword would live to tell the tale. The style was developed with that sort of confrontation in mind.

Last edited by Derrick MacThomas; December 29th, 2008 at 04:54 AM.