Full Thread: #1 Garden Thread
View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2014 #185
ericthered
Idle Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
That's cool.
Fish prices are beyond ridiculous, like everything else, but a few bass make for days of good eating. I have mastered deep-frying them, if I say so, and really enjoy them.
I wish I had time to fish, we've got a few good rivers here as well as conservation managed lakes.

Looking at getting into this; Viridis Aquaponics. I attended a presentation by these guys at the last Baker Creek Mayfest. If I'm not mistaken they said that they produce (1) head of lettuce and 1/2 lb of fish per square foot every 20 days.

Quote:
My squash failed badly; not sure if I had bad seeds or what, but they just didn't come up. Very disappointing. Lots of vines but only one canteloupe, was not able to hand pollinate them.
You might consider Baker Creek for a seed source. I've dealt with them for years, I know they test all of their seed for germination rates.

If you haven't done, you should do a soil test, ph is pretty important to maintain. If ph isn't right, nothing will grow. A decent garden center should have those simple soil test kits.

We've been using a concentrated liquid feed fertilizer (organic, fish emulsion & kelp) with added calcium. I understand that calcium plays an important part in the transfer of nutrients to the root system. We've had some good results with it. I know someone who dumped all the extra milk from their milk cow on their garden with impressive results as well.

Quote:
Last thing I did, a few weeks ago, I planted 12 cloves of garlic, in fall as you're supposed to. Then I turned over the 20x5 plot, also as you're supposed to. Planted some fish offal off the bass to help restore some nitrogen to the soil.
A good blanket of old hay over that will help too, not the garlic but the turned ground.