Full Thread: UKip Vs Bnp
View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2013 #83
Bev
drinking tea

Bev

Quote:
There was further chaos in the UKIP ranks last night as the father of a rising Tory star tried to withdraw his candidacy for the party just 90 minutes after it was announced.

Securing the support of Sushil Patel was a coup for the Eurosceptic party as a British Asian, and the father of the Conservative MP for Witham and leading right-winger Priti Patel, 41.

But shortly after yesterday’s announcement by Nigel Farage around 2.30pm that he was their candidate in the Bushey South ward of Hertfordshire County Council, Mr Patel told a journalist around 4pm that he had stood down.

Priti Patel said she still 'loves' her father after he was chosen as UKIP candidate in the council elections

Minutes later, UKIP, released a statement saying Mr Patel was still standing and unable to give interviews as he is ‘currently convalescing from a recent serious operation’.

They quoted Mr Patel saying: ‘I am proud of being a UKIP candidate and very proud of the achievements of my daughter who represents the people of Witham in an exemplary fashion.

‘My views are my own and I am astonished that there has been quite so much interest in my candidacy.’

It is understood he was unable to withdraw since his name is already on the ballot paper. Sources claimed he had a ‘wobble’ after Conservative central office were alerted to his candidacy.

He and his wife were Ugandan Asian refugees who came to Britain in the 1970s, and ran a post office in rural Norfolk before settling in West London, where they ran a small shop.

Mr Patel, 64, said last night: ‘Ukip is not a racist party – it is daylight coming through the darkness hours of this country... I joined a year ago because I had been watching it. Ukip is not racist – they are trying to make progress.

‘If you look at how many communities have settled here – they made their home. If it was genuinely racist it would be chaos by now. I am an example of it, not just me but all the East African Asians, Uganda, Kenya, South Africa, from Rhodesia.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ate-UKIP.html#

.....are we sure this guy lives in Britain?

I wonder if he's even aware of what happens to people who voice dissent?