View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2014 #48
Gordon Green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrichard View Post
There is another difference between the old days of the blue back speller and McGuffey's Readers. Today, children begin school when they are six or seven years old. They are too young! Their physical brain has not developed sufficiently to grasp much of anything taught in any school.

If a child begins elementary school at age 12, he can learn in one year all that it now takes him 6 years to learn beginning school at age 7. Elementary school can be reduced to one year if a child begins school at age 12. He will also have already learned (picked-up) reading and writing from his parents and friends. And what need has a child to be educated before he is 12 years old?

How long does it take for a fully mature adult to obtain a G.E.D.? One year?

Why teach a 16 year-old Latin?

Why educate negroes?

Which would be more beneficial: learning foreign languages and taking courses in rhetoric, or learning about natural law and shamans?

Why is it that culture and refinement are always the culture and refinement of a foreign country, of another people?

I wasted two years of high school taking French. It was all about college prep. I went to the University of Texas in 1965. Do you know what you get from Liberal Arts? You get arty liberals. I went to business college where there were no hippies. But my economics teacher was a Marxist and my elective was sociology. The teacher was a real air-head fruit cake Liberal. I quit and ended up in Viet Nam. Nice place to be from.

The only real education anyone ever gets is from the school of hard knocks.

God, I wanna rep this 10 times over. I am a big proponent of later based schooling.