View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2014 #21
notmenomore

...a good compilation.

On the "Franklin Prophecy", there has been very considerable debate as to whether or not this is a hoax. Over a number of years I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to locate source material for this without avail.

The "prophecy" is always attributed to a writing supposed to be found in the Diary of Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a Constitutional Convention delegate (and military notable) from South Carolina. I've chased through many, many indexes and bibliographies searching for ANY sources to ANY writings of the said Pinckney, and have always come up empty handed.

An interesting tidbit from the web:

Quote:
The only complete biography of Pinckney is Marvin R. Zahniser, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney: Founding Father (1967). Pinckney's papers in the Library of Congress have not been published, but letters to him from Washington and Hamilton can be found in John C. Fitzpatrick, The Writings of George Washington (39 vols., 1931-1944), and Harold C. Syrett and Jacob E. Cooke, Papers of Alexander Hamilton (15 vols., 1961-1969). The edited papers of John Adams, Rufus King, and other contemporaries should also be consulted. □
I do remember that my own research indicated a trip to Charleston SC might help to locate such a "diary", possibly in the [closed] private collection of the College of Charleston, SC. Since the papers in the LoC "have not been published" and the C of C's collection is private my guess is that access to these sources would not be available to any WN other than a "crypto" WN with sterling academic bonafides.