View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2008 #65
Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
Now, I'm working on the "Councils".
I believe these two Wills are related to your Councils.

Quote:
Will of Hodges Councill
In ye Name of God, I Hodges Councill of ye Isle of Wight County, planter, being in good health & Body & ye sound mind & memory, praised be to Almight God, do I make & ordain this my last will and testament in manner & form following.
First and principally I commend my soul unto ye hands of Almighty God, & hoping through ye merritts of my Savior Jesus Christ to have passion for all my sins & my body to ye earth to be decently Buried by ye hereafter named; & touching ye dispossing of all such temporall goods as it has pleased God to bestow upon me, I give and dispose of as follows:
I will yt my debts & morall charges be first paid & discharded.
I give unto my eldest Hodges Councill 200 acres of land out of ye Pattent of three hundred twenty; yt joins upon Blackwater, to him & heirs forever, & ye other 120 of forest tract or Pattent I give unto my Grandson Hodges Councill ye younger, unto him & his heirs forever.
Item. I give unto my daughter Christian, the wife of Edward Briand 200 acres on the S. W. side of the branch of my house & to that neck of land between the two branches... I give unto my daughter Lucy Councill 200 acres beginning at the corner tree... unto her & the heirs of her body & for want of such heirs unto my son Hardy Councill & his heirs forever. I give & bequeath unto son Robt. Council 200 acres unto him & his heirs of his body forever... to him & his heirs forever & and for want of such heirs unto my son Jno Councill & his heirs forever. I give & bequeath unto my son Hardy Councill all the rest of my land, Plantation I now live on being 290 acres, unto my son Hardy Councill & his heirs of his body begotten forever & for want of such heirs unto son Hodges Councill & his heirs forever. All the rest of my personal estate I leave to be disposed of by deed of gift.
My loving son Hardy Councill I do make & ordain to be my sole Executor of this my last will & testaments by me heretofore made.
In witness thereof I the said Hodges Councill to this my last will & testament being contained in two sides of a sheet of paper set my seal & hand the 9th day of Aug. in the year of our Lord 1699.
(Signed by his HC mark) Hodges Councill Seal. (Published in open Court Will Book Vol 2, p 419. Isle of Wight Co, VA)
Quote:
In the name of God Amen, I KIMBRO COUNCIL of the Co of Chatham, State of NC, being of sound and perfect mind and memory, blessed be God, do this the 25th day of May 1843 make and publish my last Will and Testament in manner following, that is to say;
First – I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Adia Council the tract of land on which I now reside containing 145 acres, more or less, during her lifetime or widowhood with all the privileges ___________________. And also as much of my perishable property as she thinks fit to take. This I also give to her during her lifetime or widowhood.
In_______ where of I have here unto sit my hand and seal.
K. Council Seal
The only witness name I can read is Robert C. Council ( This will was found among the papers of Kimbro Council after his death in 1857. It was never recorded. As was stated his death was sudden. This Will was written in 1843 and witnessed by his brother Robert Caswell Council. - XXXXX Council XXXXX)
I've omitted the name of a researcher at the end of the note on the "Kimbro" Council Will.

This Council line appears to go back to a John Council and Elizabeth Drake, possibly from Devonshire, England. Seems that John Council was the first Council to America and came to Isle of Wright Co.VA.

See here:
http://bjhughes.org/council.html

From another source, a map of some early land owners of Isle of Wright Co. VA:

http://www.usgwarchives.org/va/isleofwight/imagendx.htm

Also, concerning Miller, was your grandmother's name Cora or Hannah?

Last edited by Signal; August 21st, 2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added map