View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2008 #50
Alex Linder
Administrator

'Holocaust denier' Gerald Toben faces extradition to Germany
A man who denies the Holocaust took place is to appear in court facing extradition to Germany.

By Jessica Salter
03 Oct 2008

'Holocaust denier' Gerald Toben faces extradition to Germany
The German-born historian, Gerald Toben, is the founder and director of the Adelaide Institute, a Holocaust denial group

Gerald Fredrick Toben, 64, was arrested at Heathrow at the request of German authorities for publishing "anti-Semitic and/or revisionist" material between 2000 and 2004. Holocaust denial is an offence in Germany where Dr Toben faces up to five years in prison if found guilty.

The Australian citizen was arrested while travelling from America to Dubai under a European Arrest Warrant designed to fast-track extraditions.

Dr Toben, appeared before City Westminster Magistrates' Court yesterday where he objected to the terms of the warrant, saying: "This is a legal ambush. It's not British law, where the individual still has freedoms." He claimed that he would not get a fair trial in Germany.

He said: "As soon as I open my mouth they will prove I am guilty."

He was remanded until his appearace today.

A German arrest warrant was issued in 2004 which alleges that he denied, approved or played down the mass murder of Jews perpetrated by the Nazis during the Second World War. The warrant stated that he had committed the offences in Australia, Germany and other countries.

The German-born historian is the founder and director of the Adelaide Institute, a Holocaust denial group.

On his website he wrote: "If you wish to begin to doubt the Holocaust-Shoah narrative, you must be prepared for personal sacrifice, must be prepared for marriage and family break-up, loss of career, and go to prison."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...o-Germany.html