Full Thread: college
View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2013 #160
Alex Linder
Administrator

NRB628Usigmaoctans1L U
Quote:
Yeah, I some ways I agree, there are a lot of relatively stupid people in college. But like others are saying, the "trade school" option is rapidly becoming a dead end too, as labor moves overseas and blue-collar wages hit rock bottom.
Negative.

The job outlook from 2010-2020 is +20-26 percent from carpenters, electricians, and plumbers. Those were the only three I looked up. Numbers are from the OOH—so that's federal government data.

Wages for those jobs are not hitting rock bottom—or even declining.

And I hope you aren't dumb enough to think that everyone in college who isn't doing well is "stupid." I'm a college counselor and from my experience, most of these kids' main problem is that they just don't give a damn—often times because they have no interest. Most people tend to perform poorly when they have no interest or motivation.

Many kids are only in school because they are under the impression that they will make money with a college degree, that they can't make money without a college degree, they didn't know what else to do, didn't want to seem like a loser, and/or their parents told them to. Those are not reasons to shell out tens of thousands of dollars. Yesterday 12:32pm

http://gawker.com/good-maybe-kids-wi...f-w-1476352494

The counselor nails it: you must very consciously and deliberately THINK. THINK about why you are going to college. What you will get out of it in relation to price. If you can't come up with a solid answer, you're going to end up deep in debt with little to show for it. In fact, that is the default position of college grads these days. Without active thought and effort, that is where you too will end up.