View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2005 #6
antiZOG

I like the choice of caliber ( 7.62 X 39 ), it's plentiful enough, at this moment.
Also, 5.56 mm, ( M-16 ammo ). I would say both are good medium range cartridges, with my preference leaning to the Russian round, because it has more mass, is not deflected off course as easily by twigs, foliage, or the wind.
We must remember however, that distance is life, especially when an individual might be hypothetically one day find himself against the might of a large, organized force, armed with optics, infra-red, communications net, air-support-on-demand, advanced body-armor, and a massive logistics system to support it all.
This is why having at least one long-range precision rifle, with good optics, and good training, is a good idea. Calibers like 7.62 X 51 NATO (.308) are the minimum. The Russian 7.62 X 54 is I think, even better, when loaded to full strength. Both are plentiful. 8mm Mauser, is another good one, also when full-strength ( not down-loaded as US ammo makers do for liabilty reasons ).
US 30'06 is another excellent one, but you don't see as many deals on ammo, that there are with the 8mm and Russian 7.62 X 54.
Now, if you are in a riot situation, with masses of armed thugs roaming nearby, then yes, the fire-power of a self-loading rifle is advantageous.
Here is an old proverb that IU read once: "The Best Armor is to Stay Out of Range". Get reckless and you'll end up like swiss cheese.
-just my two cents..