Full Thread: Snake News
View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2014 #248
Alex Linder
Administrator

The World Outdoors: Snakes, turtles need protection

By Paul Nicholson, Special to QMI Agency
Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Eastern garter snake is the most common snake in Southwestern Ontario. Its populations are robust however nine of the 15 snake species in this Carolinian region of the province are at risk. (Paul Nicholson/Special to QMI Agency)

Snakes still make me jump but I do find them interesting. Whenever I see any of the province’s reptiles, I will stop to observe them.

Southwestern Ontario is part of the Carolinian region of the province and it is home to 23 reptile species. Sixteen of these are listed as species at fisk in Ontario.

All fifteen of Ontario’s snakes can be found in the Carolinian region. Only the Massasauga rattlesnake is venomous. While some of the other fourteen species may bite if threatened or handled, they are not venomous.

Interestingly, some of our snakes — such as the Eastern fox snake, blue racer, milk snake, and blue rat snake — will vibrate their tail to mimic a rattler. The Eastern hog-nosed snake may even puff out and flatten its neck like a cobra if it feels threatened, however it doesn’t pose a threat to humans.

Some snakes including the Eastern garter snake and Northern water snake give birth to a dozen or so live young. Other species including our smooth green snake and ring-necked snake lay eggs from which young hatch.

Snakes generally feed on invertebrates, amphibians, or fish. Larger species also will catch birds and small rodents. All of Ontario’s snake species play an important part in biodiversity.

The most common and most familiar species is the Eastern garter snake. Although it usually has three yellowish stripes and a yellowish belly, its colouring is highly variable.

Its habitats also are variable. I often see these snakes while hiking in natural areas. They do well in urban and suburban areas too.

During two of my recent visits to Point Pelee, I have seen ribbon snakes. They resemble garter snakes however the markings on the head of a slender ribbon snake are much sharper.

Nine Southwestern Ontario snake species are at risk including the Massasauga rattlesnake.

The five-lined skink, Ontario’s only lizard, is an at-risk species.

Most of the seven turtle species found in Southwestern Ontario also are at risk. In fact, it is only the midland painted turtle that is not at risk.

Reptiles are ancient animals that have survived the Ice Age and countless other threats. They are now severely challenged again because of many human factors.

Habitat loss and habitat fragmentation top the list of threats to reptiles. Cars also are a specific threat. Road signs are meant to alert drivers to turtle or snake crossings but many animals are lost in spite of these efforts.

Another challenge is predation of reptile eggs by raccoons. Because of their adaptations to human development, raccoon populations have become unnaturally elevated.

Signs are an important, basic element in supporting reptile populations. This is especially important through the month of June when most of our turtles nest. Females will leave the water to find a locations to lay their eggs and they are oblivious to road risks.

If you see a turtle crossing the road, brake. If it is safe, carry the turtle to the side of the road to which it was heading. Once the turtle lays its eggs, she returns to the water and the eggs are left to develop.

Studies are ongoing. For example, Kyle Yurkiw is working at Rondeau Provincial Park this summer on a fox snake population study using radio transmitters to track snakes across the park.

There are initiatives including construction of snake nesting structures and hibernation environments known as hibernacula that also support reptiles.

There are organizations that focus on reptile work. The Kawartha Turtle Trauma Centre is one. Their website and Facebook pages are filled with interesting facts.

Nature notes

The trees at London’s Mount Pleasant Cemetery will be the focus of a walk led by Nature London on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. The public is welcome to participate in this free event. Details are at naturelondon.com

I had great success birding in three of the provincial parks along Lake Huron last weekend. The opening of the Huron Fringe Birding Festival at MacGregor Point was tremendous. Virginia rail and ruffed grouse were among the many highlights. At Inverhuron, I added broad-winged hawks and saw more warblers. Hiking along Point Farm Provincial Park’s Old Farms Trail sightings included scarlet tanager, thrashers, indigo buntings, and white-tailed deer.

Paul Nicholson can be reached at [email protected]

Twitter @NicholsonNature

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/05/28/th...eed-protection