View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2017 #4
Wayne Naileux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Certainly a possibility. The vehicle still requires a conventional rocket to launch it into orbit, but it could be testing new propulsion methods related to Single Stage To Orbit, or SSTO to eliminate the need for huge fuel-gulping boosters to get into space, something the Space Shuttle wasn't advanced enough to do. The one up there now was launched by one of Elon Musk's Falcon 9 rockets, by the way. The video mentioned the X-37 was carrying an ion rocket which can thrust a long time, but has slower velocity than chemical fuel rockets. A smaller version of the NERVA nuclear rocket engine tested on the ground in the 1960s is also possible payload.

Whatever other technologies it may be testing, the X-37 is probably a spy craft, since it's being operated by the Air Force and DARPA, not NASA. They have all kinds of money from "black" programs to test out their toys. I've read elsewhere they might be developing a manned version similar to the X-20 Dyna-Soar that the X-37 is descended from. It could be used for space reconnaissance and anti-satellite stuff, like a first generation of Luke Skywalker's X-wing fighter.
I am sure the Spy agencies will get some mileage out of this project as well as they seem to be providing the cash. I think the National Aero Space Plane (NASP) failed in the '90s due to financing issues. Now the need for a better system is even more important, we need to explore other places to live.

Just making the fuel for these gigantic rockets has become more dangerous, as evidenced by the explosion in Henderson, Nevada a few years ago and the recent fire in Texas.