View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2011 #37
Bernie

This sounds like a real adventure for young and fit White males. Here in Australia we have a similar boom going on in our remote north west. The Broome area is looking like it will become the, 'next Dubai' due to the enormous amount of LPG (liquid petroleum gas) discovered there.

Unlike N Dakota, the weather up there is bloody HOT, so hot you can barely stand it. But there's serious money to be made and you can get a cold beer or three in the evening. Like in your frozen north, there's a labor shortage in almost all Australian mining areas. In most of the remote ares workers are on what is called FIFO contracts: (Short for 'fly in fly out') so if you reside in Perth WA you work three weeks on and one week off, and you are flown home 2000 thousand miles for free.

Accommodation is also a problem with workers living in 'Dongas', prefabricated small shipping container sized boxes, but with TV, air-conditioning and shower and toilet. Remember
never to walk about barefoot at nights, almost all our wildlife is nocturnal (asleep in daytime) and we have snakes and spiders here that make yours look like kiddies playthings.

To give some idea of how serious this is, our States are reporting difficulty in recruiting and keeping Police as the coppers have discovered they can earn four times their salary in these Godforsaken remote areas and are resigning in droves.

Maybe some of you guys (and gals) might do some research and ask Australia for a Visa and do some work here for a year or two. Last time I looked our dollar was $1.09 in your money and there a plenty of ordinary workers making way over a $100K. Australians like (white) Americans, you'll be treated like Kings.

Trust me.

But do some research first, start by googling; 'Jobs in remote Australian mining towns'. If I were doing it I'd also try some of the recruitment agencies who get paid a commission for finding employees, but don't part with any money up front.

Good luck, whatever you do and remember, 'The hardest part of any journey is always the FIRST STEP'