View Single Post
Old December 22nd, 2018 #16
Joe from OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
I've made some comments about (((war))) veterans that are just as tough as Ray's. But, I make a distinction between those who served, and wised up, and those who served and demand people kiss their ass for serving. My rhetoric is directed at the later.

Any one of us at some point in time has been a sucker patriotard propaganda. Me, right after 9/11. I *almost* joined the Marines, and would have if I didn't get a very good job offer. My dad, a former Marine, looked at me and told me I'd be stupid if I didn't take that job offer.
I wanted to go ROTC in college (and probably opt out with no penalties after 2 years) but my father absolutely forbade me. He was ROTC and served in Korea and told me very bluntly that he had seen kids my age come home in body bags, blind or missing limbs for some idiotic chink peninsula halfway around the world. He told me that once you sign that piece of paper that you are property to be disposed of for whatever reason by the government.

I thought he was over the top. His wisdom came clear when I read about weekend warriors in National Guard Units getting sent to Afghanistan and coming home in caskets.

Young and dumb is a basic human condition. The good news is that fewer white kids are being duped now due to the internet. Thanks, Al Gore, for your wonderful invention