View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2005 #2
Itz_molecular
Banned

Default Overlooked potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder

“The numbers are straightforward and irrefutable. The child who attends public school typically spends approximately 1100 hours a year there, but only twenty percent of these —220— are spent, as the educators say, ‘on task.’ Nearly 900 hours, or eighty percent, are squandered on what are essentially organizational matters.”
This is an excellent point. The great bulk of time in public school is wasted on overhead. I know this from my own experience that so little time is spent 'on subject'.

The one thing that authors like this always seem to overlook is the fantastic potential for computer driven learning. For rote subjects, such as arithmetic , spelling, grammar, history and geography what could be better than a computer. The computer has infinite patience and can produce endless learning sets in any subject. Even reading can be taught by computer with voice sythesis capability. A computer could be the greatest tool that home schoolers ever have had. Coupled with other learning aids, homeschooling could rocket beyond all conventional classroom instruction.

I don't think that even 1% of this potential has been explored.

'our's are the fingers that tip scales' .......... yiddish