Full Thread: Beer review
View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2016 #304
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Streed View Post
Good review, Donnie.
Thanks. I've got a much better Ohio-brewed Pils to review "on tap", so to speak. Cincinnati brewery.

Quote:
I grew up (literally, mid teens on) drinking cheap mass produced beer, mostly because that's all we had. I think a bunch of those brands are gone, at least I never see them around, Olympia, Rainer, Blitz Weinhard. Olympia had the four dot thing going. If you peeled the label off of a bottle of Oly it would have anywhere from one to four dots on the backside. It's probably best if I don't get into what the dots were supposed to symbolize.
I think Olympia is still around, or at least it was a couple of years ago. All the Oly we got here in the farmlands was in cans. I always enjoyed Oly. "It's the water".

There is a growing trend towards re-opening some of the now long-shuttered breweries of the past, and brewing those legacy beers once again. Much smaller footprint, of course. In fact, I think that's the case with Olympia.

Everything old is new again, right? God, at least I hope so.

Guess what opened up couple of towns over? A record store. Selling vinyl, man. And turntables with which to play it. They'll tell you the sound is better. That slight imperfections in the performance captured on vinyl (that are now all fixed in post production) means authenticity. We walked out of the place, and I asked my wife "Am I that pretentious about beer"? She laughed so hard she got the hiccups. So, yeah. Apparently.

Quote:
Cobra? As in Shelby AC Cobra?
I wish. Those things are like a million dollars, bro. Nah, a 2012 Shelby GT500 Cobra. Traded it in on one of the new Corvettes.

And yes Kiefer, wherever you are, it's a convertible.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; July 9th, 2016 at 03:24 AM.