Full Thread: Snake News
View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2010 #105
Bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
[From Ooztrahlya]

That snake you see is a Six foot 'Red Belly Black' Snake which are very venomous but by no means the most venomous of Australia's reptiles. I've seen a monster Red Belly on a Forestry Trail which may have been more than 10 Feet long. On the "Indian Cobra" scale, a Red Belly is about 2X Cobras. We've got some snakes here that are worth 50X Cobra's.

As if their poison wasn't enough, there are more problems with Aussie snakes:

They are SILENT and NOCTURNAL. This means unlike your Rattlesnakes, our bastards don't give you any warning, so if you're gonna get bitten, it will likely be at night. A careless woman went out barefoot at night to get her washing off the line in Suburbia and steps on a Death Adder. These are a horrible beast, so named because until the 1940's when an antidote was discovered, more than HALF of all victims who were bitten died within hours. The woman was bitten a dozen times. Poor thing must have been jumping up and down on the beast, she was dead in a few hours hours.

A few years ago two blokes were camping out bush. At night one of them, named Bluey, went into the scrub to do his 'business' while his mate was tending the camp fire. Suddenly his mate hears a loud scream' 'what's up mate, are you orright? he yells. 'No mate,' came the reply, 'I was squatting down having a 'pony and trap' when, bugger me, a large brown snake bit me by fastening itself on me 'old fella'.

His mate asks, 'Strewth Blue, what do you want me to do? He says, "Mate could you get on the bloody wireless and call the flying doctor and ask them bastards what treatment they reckon is best"

He radios the Flying Doctor who tell him the best treatment is to 'Suck the poison out'. Startled at the unthinkable prospect of sucking blue's old fella, he gently asks the Nurse what would he happen if he didn't do it.

'You mate will be dead inside five minutes' says the Nurse.

He put down the transceiver and thinks for a moment. Meanwhile Bluey, anxious to hear what the flying Doctor service had to say asks, 'What did they say mate, what's gonna happen to me?

'His old mate says quietly, 'She said you've got five minutes to live'.