View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2019 #7
Marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Johnny. View Post
Englishman Frank Whittle invented the turbo-jet engine, the same kind of engine the Germans used in (to their credit) the building of the first operational turbo-jet aircraft. But the English invented the turbo-jet - not the Germans. Here's a photo (below) of the world's first turbo-jet patented in the UK in 1930. Then why didn't the English build the first operational jet? Because Whittle, although an RAF pilot/inventor, could not interest this country's air force in investing in the idea. So he developed it in private, with very little money, as opposed to the German jet aircraft designers, who had the German war machine behind their project.

World's first functioning turbo-jet engine, made in the UK.

Germans, however, are credited with putting the first flying jet in the sky.

As for television, like with much in the way of technological progress, multiple people and multiple nations had a part in it: Americans, Scots, Germans, and even the Japanese. But the first electronic television system is credited to Utah Mormon Philo Farnsworth II, shown (below) with his primitive 1926 TV set:

And yes, the Germans get the credit for broadcasting TV in the city of Berlin during the 1936 Olympics. But a few months later, in November of 1936, the world's first regularly broadcast television began in the UK. But the invention that made both the German and the UK broadcasts possible was thanks to America - the country that invented it.

Also, I'm aware that the Wright brothers invention of the first powered aircraft has been contested. Even New Zealand, of all places, claims their countryman Richard Pearse beat the Wright brothers to the punch by first flying in 1902. So I fully understand why disagreements over who did what first continually comes up. That said, we all need to thank Dr. Wernher von Braun, Hitler's number one German scientist, for putting a white man on the Moon in 1969.

Former SS Major Wernher von Braun
You mean the moon fake landing? Of all nazi achievements that’s one I would never brag about!