Full Thread: Privacy
View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2013 #8
Ed in CT
Good Guy

Ed in CT

Fixed it Varg, thanks.

I had LastPass URL on the clipboard, forgot to copy the correct one.

I prefer to not have my passwords on a server, encrypted or not, I like them here.

Assuming that Mega.co.nz is totally secure, that might be a safe place to store an encrypted password list. They claim that even the server admins cannot decrypt files that are stored there.

Last week Mega offered rewards for anyone that could find security holes in the site and evidently some were found, Mega patched them and paid the people they said they would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Keep in mind the software you linked to is different from the software in the description you gave.

The link goes to LastPass, the description is for KeePass.

Lastpass stores your encrypted (supposedly) passwords in the cloud on their servers.

I trust KeePass more than Lastpass, since KeePass's database is only stored locally on your computer.

LastPass is easier to use because it will fill the login forms out for you and doesn't require as much user intervention. Supposedly they encrypt your database that's housed on their servers and they claim it's unreadable to anyone but you, but I really don't trust anyone that well.

If you want to make KeePass easier to use and automated, get the KeePassHTTP plugin. Though it might be more advanced to set up that way. You need the Chrome or Firefox extension too.