View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2008 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

Alex Linder

[From Antiochus Epiphanes]

Ns Economics
Gott inquired into NS economics. I've looked at this topic on and off for years. here's a few starters.

Gott correctly noted the relationship with Italian corporatism. Villfredo Pareto was a fascist economist of note. All salesmen here who know the 80-20 rule know the "Pareto principle." A minor point but a popular one.

Moving on to autarky. This is an economic policy that advocates a nation trying to fill its own natural resource, manufacturing, and service needs itself, rather than relying on imports. Think of it as "self reliance" on a grand scale.

The reason nations trade is to maximize value using differential advantage. Like, Germans are good at making guns, so they trade them to the Swedes for ore. Except its not barter, it's done by money. Different story, just focus on the issue of trade as a positive thing, which indeed it is.

However, cut to the reality that many nations have existed under a situation of mercantile exploitation. That is a social reality which a nationalist cant tolerate or even exist under. Go back to the Americans breaking away from the British and the nascent Yankee industry seeking trade protections in the early US.

Another example we should consider is the Indians. Mahatma Gandhi preached autarky both before the independence from the Brits, and the Indian government continued it after. WHy? Because they were to stupid to benefit from trade with the Brits? No, because trade kept them DEPENDENT.

Autarky within a nation, practiced by a subgroup, like, say, Jews within the US, means that they use their own community resources. They may pay more individually, but the group benefits more overall, by keeping the resources in house and developing personnel and capital resources that are under the group's control and can be mobilized in defense of the group in times of need.

We ought to imitate that. The autarky of the Indian nationalists, or the self-dealing of the Jews. MacDonald discusses this in Separation and its Discontents.

Germany in the 30s pursued autarky for yet another reason, and that was to supply the war industry. Hence synthetic oil and other innovations.

Germany also used barter due to a shortage of valuable foreign currency reserves. Kind of like the Russians did in the 90s and still do. Ironic huh?

The last topic I would touch on is labor relations. Much similarity between NS German labor relations and the Japanese labor relations policy in the postwar period.

That's as much time as I have for this Gott, but if you follow up on any of these points in a university library, I am sure you will find much good material.