View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2010 #87
Kamerad Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Not too far from the truth. Maybe I'm a budding liberal per pygmies, as they are compound in my mind with Oompa Loompas, which are funny, and sing clever songs. I also like the idea of tiny creatures slinking around the forest shooting blowdarts at monkey. And I also know that pygmies are often attacked and literally eaten by African niggers. I think we could probably treat bite-sized rain forest niggers as part of the natural fauna without endangering ourselves, provided we didn't drive to improve the little buggers with pantaloons and Jeboo.
It is not by accident you made that accusation. The original Oompa-Loompas were flushed down the memory hole in favor of undocumented green dwarfs merrily slaving away in Willy Wonka's sweetshop for a chocolate kiss a day.
Quote:
"In the version first published, [the Oompa–Loompas were] a tribe of 3,000 amiable black pygmies who have been imported by Mr. Willy Wonka from 'the very deepest and darkest part of the African jungle where no white man had been before.' Mr. Wonka keeps them in the factory, where they have replaced the sacked white workers. Wonka's little slaves are delighted with their new circumstances, and particularly with their diet of chocolate. Before they lived on green caterpillars, beetles, eucalyptus leaves, 'and the bark of the bong–bong tree.'" [Jeremy Treglown's Roald Dahl: A Biography]

http://www.roalddahlfans.com/books/charoompa.php