Full Thread: Books are outdated
View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2010 #7
andy

I prefer old books because of the style.In the days before copyright policing and citation and apendices.The author will have done all the research evaluated it and yes bought his own opinion into it.Rightly or wrongly I prefer where the author brings his opinion to the issue.Most books nowadays could be improved by straight cut and paste from the internet.
While I don't want to be given unverifiable false information I think most educated people can draw their own conclusions and formulate their own opinions from personalised authorship.I too am reading Burleigh (The third Reich a new history) and yes I can see the court historian.But he has a modern style,his comparison with modern political activity is attractive .This of course is a personal opinion and I think the trouble with books is there is not enough of the author in the manuscript.Proto nazi Thomas Carlyle managed to write books without recourse to page notes and appendices in his originals and his books are so much better for it.

Chase them into the swamps