Full Thread: Pop Books
View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2012 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Pop Books

In this thread I will post succinct notes on pop books as distinct from serious lit, which i will post on elsewhere. Mostly crime stuff, like businessmen read. There's no reason to read these other than escapism, just to hear about someone else's problems when you have low energy.

Let's say I'm on a quest: to find the one cop novel that doesn't have the usual stereotyping.

Read a bunch of these when my computer was broken in February, but don't have those notes in front of me.

Kellerman, Jonathan: The Murder Book (2002).

bio: Kellerman is a jew from NYC who moved to LA; he is a psychologist as well as very successful novelist

hero: psychiatrist, queer detective, reformed nig junkie and straightlaced nig police chief

bad guys: rich spoiled white guys

notes: story takes place around LAl; one of the main degenerate rich families is Cossack (jews hate Cossacks), and the one good rich guy is named Obey. apart from 50 pages describing the interaction of "Pierce Schwinn," a wizened beat cop, and newcomer queer det. Milo Sturgis, this book is quite boring.

PC stereotypes grade: 100%

Gardner, Lisa: Catch Me (2012)

bio: appears ordinary WASP living in NE, has written 14 novels

- have only read a few pages but already the victim is a white pedophile living in a black housing project, where he sex-snuffs larval aspiring rap producers. Two of the cops have just begun dating. Those would be Neil and Ben.

Last edited by Alex Linder; July 28th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.