Full Thread: Is this wrong?
View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2013 #5
M.N. Dalvez

M.N. Dalvez

Why do you ask, Alex? Did someone, elsewhere, 'take issue' with that sentence on grammatical grounds?

Quote:
Like every other fortysomething, I feel I music was better 20 years ago.
Quote:
I would have added 'that' before 'music', to indicate that 'music was better...' is a subordinate clause, dependent upon the main clause in that sentence - that you are stating your opinion, not an absolute fact.
Don't agree, it's self evident and irrelevant that it's an opinion. It's a statement of feeling as you can tell from 'feel.' Generally there unless rhythm requires it that is like a comma, better discarded. Get me to the thing I'm saying, discard the clothes and let's fuck. I don't need thats hanging around peeping on my main point like perverts of slat.

Quote:
Whether you genuinely feel that music was better 20 years ago or not is not relevant, because you're obviously stating your opinion, not making an effort to prove that music was objectively better 20 years ago. After all, it's just a short sentence in which you state your opinion.

Main clause: 'I feel'.
Subordinate clause: 'music was better 20 years ago'.
My question is whether the 'I music' part is ungrammatical (1), and if not then (2) what is the name for that double object, I guess it would be.

Other than that, I don't see any grammatical problems with that sentence.

I also would have hyphenated 'forty-something', [/quote]

If you're using it as a noun, as I was, it's better not to hyphenate it. I would hyphenate it as an adjective. The term originated with the show Thirtysomething, which I don't think was hyphenated.

Quote:
but that's not really a grammatical issue. And I am assuming that the 'I' that you wrote before music was a typo.
It's not. That's the whole point of this whole question!

I SAID: the sentence reads exactly the way I want it. My question is whether the 'I music' part is ungrammatical. I don't think so. And if not, if legitimate, what the term is for two nouns together like that.

OOPS MY APOLOGIES I EDITED THIS POST RATHER THAN RESPONDED TO IT, SORRY MN DALVEZ.

Last edited by Alex Linder; September 27th, 2013 at 01:08 AM.