View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2005 #10
Border Ruffian

Quote:
Well, it's an ages old and world-wide argument. What sucks is that weapon stylists rarely have an opportunity to face other styles, ie; Kendo dojos don't compare and compete with European fencers.
Best thing to come out of this thread IMO. We need to see these comparisons. No holds barred, like UFC. Cut(or stab heh) through the bullshit. Culture vs culture.

I don't know a goku from a numbchuck but everything I've witnessed and read points to the point, not the edge. Stab is better than cut. Cutting and chopping is for everyday life. Stabbing is for emergencies like defending a life and/or taking one. It's the next level up, so obvious, but non-whites seem to have trouble grasping it. It's a good analogy when you think about it. There was arguments about this stuff in another thread and I put up pics of different weapons from different cultures. Non-whites figured out(or were anciently shown) spears but when it came to everyday small arms, they show their deviance and make everything curvy. It's like they're trying to avoid something.

Old norse showed a weakness for lesser weapons too. Axes look neat but they aren't as practical as something you can stab with. Something about nordic psychology. They loved their hammers too much hahah so they beat them out and sharpened them. Being physically larger than their sword-wielding enemies let them get away with it for a while so the habit died hard.

Shortest distance between two points, guys. It's not rocket science.