Full Thread: Gold
View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2009 #57
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
I know gold is perty but if the dollar collapsed then welcome to the global depression and widespread bartering. Commodity prices would explode. Things like sugar, wheat, oil. Real things that people want and need. Gold would be down on the list of things you need. If gasoline is not available for trucks to bring food to your town then your gold isn't going to be worth much in terms of quality of life.

Even a slow return to normalcy isn't going to help the gold hoarders situation. Think of it this way. You need food. I have food. I need medicine. You have no medicine but you offer me gold for my food. I say your gold is useless to me and use my guns to take your gold.

All your gold did for you was get you robbed or maybe worse.
Um...yeah, you're right. Gold is no protection against robbery.

???

In ordinary life, which includes most post-catastrophe scenarios, gold and silver are a useful means of exchange, their other function besides value-store (unlike paper). The problem with barter, obviously, is you have to have something the other guy wants or no go. Hence money. In a catastrophe, hence reliable money. Gold is always going to be worth something because it always has been worth something.

Your argument is like saying X (or Y) is worthless because any man with a gun can steal it from you.