View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2014 #47
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
He did publish a book of poems (The Lords and The New Creatures) while he was still above terra firma. Someone famously said that Jim Morrison woke up a different man every day.

Poetry is usually a self-indulgent affectation. For long stretches, Morrison was high or drunk, or both, pretty much 24/7. That's hard on a guy.
Here's what it was...was looking through my gf at the time's box of college books and came across copy of Morrison poetry book. Not the one you mentioned, the one that came out in the '80s or '90s and was marketed pretty heavily, I had heard of it but never looked thru it. Don't remember the title. The shit in that was godawful, I was definitely ridiculing her some for that. Shit. Poet! Morrison's ok as a singer, but he's not someone I'd take seriously. Ever met any film school people. Fucking shitheads, in my limited experience. Actual quote from a film school shithead I wasn't evesdropping on, to his buddy. "Hey, man, we should just like look up some guy in the phone book and send him a postcard. That would be [really funny]" It's not hard to see why there aren't any good movies.

Quote:
Hey, the guy could have been a big Elton John fan. The horror....The horror...
Ha. I don't mind EJ that much.

How does someone not check the fucking weather before you drive eight hours? How does that not happen? I don't care if the internet doesn't exist yet. Back then, I was underclassman, just keeping my mouth shut and doing whatever I could to help out. Many, many things should have been otherwise, but on one ever asked me.

Quote:
I take it the Sagehens weren't a solid road team.
We were ok. We used to kick the shit out of BIOLA, one of those Worrell brothers teams. BIOLA = Bible Institute of Los Angeles. On the other hand, Quisenberry's school, LaVerne, kicked the shit out of us every single time. As did the mexicans on the JV at Cal-State Fullerton, I think it was. One of the state schools. Scrimmaged them every week, lost every time. But we beat Occidental, the Kenyan's old school, located in Eagle Rock, where the air is absolutely terrible. We played schools from back east, like Eastern Connecticut, whose coach was a complete dickhead, but they beat us 4-3. And Wisconsin-Whitewater. We played University of Denver, which I particularly recall as my worst game, they had a demon pitcher set me down with a KO three straight times, one time literally falling over on my ass, and I was a high-average hitter, and contact hitter, unlike almost everyone else who were going for HRs. He had to be throwing low '90s, I could not locate it. We also used to play Cal-Tech, and kick the shit out of them. They were more like a Little League team, usually the worst team we played. Great years, fun times. I remember our 95-year-old base coach. The guy's name was Harry, to call him cadaverous would be to exaggerate his degree of not-deadness. Nice enough guy, though. "Let's get some life in our pants," was his favorite saying.

Shit, we had some people. I think I'm the only one who didn't go on to be lawyer. We had a jew on our team with a horsecock. I didn't know him well, but he was very genial, a not very good pitcher, always laughing. Didn't have that jew paranoia. Every day he'd come in there with a towel up and down over his prodigious appendage and say "I am not an animal...I am a man!" while laughing like an idiot. The Elephant Man theme, you may recall. Then his outfielder friend he was flashing would be say, ":Goddamit, Sternie, I'd like to go just one day without seeing that thing." This was the routine.

Our best player was a jack Mormon, Carl Curtis. Real good guy, I lockered next to him. He hit 3 HRs in one game at least twice when I saw it. He'd been scouted, as had our shortstop, but was a little too old. Guys in SCIAC are 6'1" 210, whereas the same guy at UCLA is 6'5" 250. He could hit for power. He used to give me lots of useful advice. "Linder, did you know if you turn your underwear inside out you can wear it another three days?"

I got lots of advice.

"You look like a fucking Ethopian. Eat some food." I was 6'1" 160. Skinny for a baseball player. It's a sport that really works well for those with barrel chests and popeye forearms - think Pete Rose.

"Linder - you need to get a girlfriend and sleep with her all summer."

Still one of the stranger things I recall...we're on a bus, coming back from a game. I'm reflecting on something I did wrong, or didn't do well enough, for that is the way of my people. Out of nowhere, through the busly din, I hear "Hacksaw Reynolds had the biggest balls in the NFL." It was Coach Maher, used to be with the Denver Gold.

WTF? He was the same one who gave me the gf advice. Lot of our guys were football players.

It was fun. I miss the weather. I even miss our crazy coach. He didn't really like me, even though I kept my mouth shut and did nothing but help. I backup-caught our freshman pitchers, helped them improve. I took 58-foot curveballs off my wrists. Those were flung by Ashcraft, a genuinely funny guy. Totally arrogant - spitting image of James Caan's son. Had the skin on his nose so burned from surfing he had to wear a nose shade. Would brag incessantly about being on Junior Olympics, whatever the fuck that is. Claimed his fastball was in 90s. I never could be sure whether he was deliberately bouncing stuff just to be a dick. One of the most arrogant guys I've ever met, but he got away with it because he was genuinely funny. He ended up getting in a fight with our coach, and our whole team had to boycott until the coach calmed his sometimes crazy ways. "I didn't call YOU horseshit...I called your pitching horseshit!" He was a little crazy. He had very light blue eyes, and you'd look in them trying to locate something and...not really there.

He was an ex-UCLA lineman from the '50s. He benched me for the only two games my parents showed up for (from out of state) because the game before I'd mentioned I was going to try to hit an HR, since I was the only starter who hadn't. We were ahead of Cal-Tech 17-3, so no danger of losing. But I only managed a flyout to deep right. We had to chase down foul balls ourselves. His rule was that if you weren't playing, you had to run down to the scoreboard, down the rightfield line, between innings. One inning, I go chase a foul ball, long off to the right, over the fence, in the dirty ivy where the rats and spiders live. I get back right as the next half inning is starting. There's no real foul territory, just a fence, so I can't really run down to the scoreboard while the game is going on. This is later used against me. Injustice, coach! Jesus. Trying to be helpful.

I've actually wondered over the years if the coach just plain didn't like me, but concealed it. And if that were the case, it was surely from the campus politics I was involved in. The more I've thought about it over the years, I think that may have been the case.

I hit over .400 as a sophomore, but I only started about half the games, and way down in the order. Like I said, most people just did it for fun, going for full power swings. I always did what was likeliest to help the team - drive the ball up the middle, best way to get on. My one selfish act was to try to hit a HR against Cal-Tech, but I didn't waste dozens of at-bats hitting flyball outs instead of singles. Eh... those are my baseball memories. Did I say Burns is a putz? A PC putz, too. I bet he shit on Ty Cobb, the greatest baseball player who ever lived, and an excellent businessman/investor, too.

Quote:
I'm 3 episodes into Ken Burn's plodding but occasionally insightful Baseball on Netflix at the moment. Learned Abner Doubleday not only didn't invent/codify Baseball, he most likely never even saw a game played.

Did you know that African-American players were discriminated against in the past? Burns will remind you, with solemn-sounding voiceovers over sepia images of 19th century blacks in uniforms, roughly every 120 seconds or so. I half-expected Sarah McLachlan to start singing over the lingering shots.

And this was produced in 1994.
Hey, we sagehens were 17-20 when I was a sophomore, that was our big year. As our soccer coach said, "the sagehen is the only animal that, when attacked, will not defend itelf." Kind of funny...I guess.

Here's something you can use. Everyone should use it, if they get in these kind of discussions. Two things - notice the similarity in style. The thought process is the same.

1) How could Germany, the most advanced/civilized/educated nation of the time, have turned against the jews?

Responses:

a) BECAUSE they were the most educated nation of their times... (or whatever adjective they used - advanced, civilized - just say THAT'S WHY

b) Say that again...slower...and just maybe you can figure it out. Which leads them on their own back to a). You've induced an epiphany. At best. Or at least planted a Hmm Seed (tm).

Then follow up with, you know how Germans lead the way in lots of technology, like automotive and such? Well, they were ahead in political engineering too... They figured out the jew, while we're still under its thumb.

Try to turn the world upside down for them. Think the unthinkable. Play it flat, matter of fact. Like it's the most obvious thing in the world. Be even-eyed. Don't flush or twist or vibrate. An Aryan telling the truth should strive to be as unembarrassed as a jew telling a lie.

Now, the second one relates to baseball.

Whenever Babe Ruth is brought up, you hear: Oh, I wonder how he would have done if he'd played against the Negro Leaguers.

Flip this. Say: "I wonder how those Negro Leaguers would have done if they'd had to play against Babe Ruth."

Then grin really slowly, in a most obnoxious way, let it unfurl over your face like the Grinch.

BAM, you sir are EXPLODED, with chitlin residue all over your anti-white face.

Fun fact: the Nigger Leagues didn't keep serious stats, so all their claims are nigger bullshit.

I forgot one baseball story my Indian friend, who went on to work for Goldman Sachs used to laugh about. The black guy on our team used to claim he was related to the Thigpen in the major leagues - until he discovered that Thigpen was white.

Anyway, Donnie, my point was: what I said is what baseball is REALLY like. I've read a ton of baseball books, I'd recommend Ball Four by Jim Bouton. "He had two favorite cusswords. One was shitfuck. And the other was fuckshit."

Last edited by Alex Linder; January 20th, 2014 at 03:07 AM.