View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2010 #21
Dendroaspis

You guys make it seem as though Whites bear no responsibility for the current rate of extinction linked to mankind's overbearing footprint on this planet. Thousands of species of plants and animals have either gone extinct or are on the verge of extinction due to our activities, and no one on race or group bears responsibility for that...it's simply a symptom of the human species to displace all other forms of life around us. Our ability to conform to an ecosystem disappeared sometime around the agricultural revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
I don't think they ALL hibernate together, but snakes of the same species often have common overwintering places - and sometimes snakes of different species will use the same hibernation hole - I know that rattlesnakes will sometimes hibernate with other species.

What I have seen backs up what scientists say - there has a been a general decline in numbers of reptiles and amphibians. Used to see a lot more snakes, for example, roadkilled back in the 70s than you do today.

If a large population of snakes is used to hibernating at this particular location, why not help them out if you're going to close it off? Itz a White thang. Certainly nigs or mexes wouldn't care. Itz our White job to preserve the more attractive species, to blunt the effects of the verminiferous, and to use our brains to tell the difference! Without getting all religious about it. Nature is no more to be worshiped than Jeboo.
Your information is more or less correct. The ideal den will descend 5 or 6 feet down into a rock wall (especially in more montane species) or into the ground, which is usually suitable to provide enough insulation to keep the animals warm during the winter. In such a circumstance, while the temperature outside the den may be freezing or below, the temperature inside the den may be 40+ degrees F...low enough for the snakes to be in a state of lowered metabolic activity (known as brumation, as opposed to hibernation), but still high enough for them to sustain life. I've found den sites here that contained more than 7 or 8 species of snakes (comprising around 50 individuals that I could count), both venomous and non-venomous. As you may be hearing in the media, FL's cold front is causing some problems for the invasive species of reptiles there (i.e. green iguanas, burmese pythons, etc.), which don't naturally brumate due to their natural habitat being tropical, and thus they simply freeze to death.