Full Thread: #1 Garden Thread
View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2014 #183
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I brought in around 150 lbs of squash yesterday from our squash patch (about 40' x 80' ). Lots more to come. I like winter squash because, when hardened off right, it will keep very well in a cool, dark, dry place. Overwinter in most cases. Not a lot of processing for a good food store.

Will probably bring in around 100 lbs of Sun Chokes after it frosts.

Girls have been canning like zombies and there is lots of drying to do as well.

It was a very good year in our garden.
That's cool.

I don't know how to can, but I've got a freezer half full of tomatoes. And just a few beans. And a large baggie of garden herbs. Was a pretty good year, learned some things. Going to grow a lot more beans next year, fresh beans are fantastic. Tomatoes were excellent. I just pop 'em in ziploc bags or baggies and store them up. Also stored up some bass I caught, which has been fantastic. Fish prices are beyond ridiculous, like everything else, but a few bass make for days of good eating. I have mastered deep-frying them, if I say so, and really enjoy them.

My squash failed badly; not sure if I had bad seeds or what, but they just didn't come up. Very disappointing. Lots of vines but only one canteloupe, was not able to hand pollinate them. Was able to get a number of zucchini, but only by hand-pollinating. Gave them all away to decent white people who like how they taste.

Last thing I did, a few weeks ago, I planted 12 cloves of garlic, in fall as you're supposed to. Then I turned over the 20x5 plot, also as you're supposed to. Planted some fish offal off the bass to help restore some nitrogen to the soil.

2014 was a pretty good year, learned a number of things, got some good fresh food didn't have to pay for. Now HOPEFULLY the weather/wind will comply this year (unlike 2013) with my deer prayers and will get a bunch of deer meat, get cracking on my deer butchering skills.