View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2020 #114
Alex Him

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven clark View Post
Alex:
Mozart: I know all his four horn concertos.
On my CD-disk there was only this concert, so I only know this thing

Quote:
Night on Bald Mountain: it was choreographed for the Russian Folklore Ballet, and, yes, they danced the Turkey in the Straw.

Yes, that is the piece from Mlada; actually titled The Procession of the Nobles.
Then I have no doubt that the Russian ballet dressed as cowboys was a very funny show

Quote:
It's always an interesting (although to you it must be tiresome) argument as to how 'civilized' the Russians really are. I think they are a very cultured people, and although despotic, have much humanity, but one can say much the same about Americans.
It seemed to me that you are using the terms "civilized" and "cultural" as synonyms. Although these phenomena often accompany each other and feed each other, I believe that they are still different phenomena.

I don't understand what you see as the despotism of the Russians and the Americans

Quote:
I think Hitler considering Russians savage was very stupid.
I have not read Hitler's works and therefore I will not venture to assess the degree of his intelligence.

But in my opinion, he was in captivity of some illusions about the USSR and the Russian people.

Quote:
More than one historian said if the Germans had come as true liberators, most of the communist regime would have collapsed.
I will not dare to assert that the communist regime would have irrevocably collapsed in this case, but I have no doubt that it would be easier for the Germans to wage war if they had not turned against themselves the absolute majority of the population of the USSR with their actions dictated by their ideology. (Soviet Nationalities in German Wartime Strategy, 1941-1945)

Quote:
Ernst Zundel, who you know was arrested for denying the Holocaust, visited Russia and enjoyed Russians very much, and thought it a great shame Germany and Russia went to war. Many Russians he spoke to said there must have been some secret reason Hitler went to war with Stalin. I'd add that especially since Prussia (Germany) and Russia were allies in the 19th century.
I don't know what you see so mysterious in the desire to seize the resources and territories of other peoples.

Why there must be some additional "secret reason" here?

Quote:
Winston Churchill said the decisive event of the 20th century was that the Americans spoke English (so they could bail Britain out of WWI/WWII). The Hungarian historian John Lukacs said the decisive event of the 21st century may well be that the Russians are white.
I am unable to appreciate the plausibility of these words of Churchill. I don't understand the reasons why one English-speaking country cannot enter into an alliance with a non-English-speaking country against another English-speaking country if it is beneficial for it.

And I don't know what bright prospects John Lukacs is counting on with such a policy of the West towards Russia.

Quote:
I didn't mean to move away from Russian music, but I think Russia is a very rich and diverse country, and we shouldn't be enemies.
I also believe that we should not be enemies.

Quote:
I feel your music and literature is deep and genuine;
Thank you for such a compliment to Russian art!

Quote:
much of ours in America has been taken over by the Jews, much like Poland seemed to have let the Jews take over much of their economy and government. Sometimes we Americans seem like new world Poles, if that means anything to you.
It seems that the Americans have a special attitude to the Poles?

Alexander Glazunov - From the Middle Ages, suite for orchestra in E major, Op. 79 - (1902)