Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. White View Post
Mark Twain had a neat book about "Christian Science:"

The entire text is available at this link:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3187/3187-h/3187-h.htm

It is hilarious!!!!!!

But, if "Christian Science" and Mary Baker Eddy's crowd isn't one's liking, for a gift of any amount to Johnnie the Ha-gee, you can get a Pissreal key chain, imported directly from jewrusaslum.
That's great stuff, Twain mocking 3 or 4 different things at once, showing the true master. I have the actual book on Christian Science, was not cheap to acquire.

Twain has the white mentality. Christian Science is a classic NE Waspism, altho what is actually interesting about it is that it is legitimately nondogmatic. Christian Scientists are generally fairly well off economically and generally cheerful. They are not fanatic. I cannot think of another example of an -ism generated by NE wasps that isn't 100% intolerant, crazy and forced on any animal the WASP can get in his net.

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 10th, 2019 at 09:48 AM.

Old March 10th, 2019 #22
Alex Linder
Administrator

Most christian scientists do go to doctors. In my experience, CS is one of those ideas better carried out on one's children than oneself.

Ibuprofen for me
Standing portal at the door of thought for thee

As for the rattlesnake, most people are bitten on ankles or lower legs; being bitten on ear, that's closer to heart, and being that young, she's extremely lucky she didnt die, so I would guess she didnt get a huge amount. Also, earlobe is pretty dang small, maybe she got one fang. Who knows.

Old March 10th, 2019 #23
Alex Linder
Administrator

My grandmother, who was quite intelligent in the IQ sense, was a legal secretary, knew Latin and could type over 100 wpm, died at 57 of ovarian cancer, I believe. My other three non-CS grandparents lived into their 90s. Hmm...perhaps a connection? She either tried and failed to handle her condition with Christian Science, or simply went to the doctor too late.

Old March 10th, 2019 #24
Alex Linder
Administrator

But even bad things can be used. I am an all-realist in part from the strength of the drive in the opposite direction that listening to christian science fantasy produced.

Old March 10th, 2019 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Christian Science also helped me derive a grand unified theory of ironism as the central design or organizing principle of the universe, because you see this in so many things.

Because avoiding doctors (ie, pills) actually is the best way to go. The CS hits on the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Old March 10th, 2019 #26
Alex Linder
Administrator

Ok...well this thread has gone a little ways toward what I wanted. We have some mild examples of odd things.

Old March 10th, 2019 #27
Alex Linder
Administrator

The oddest thing about that panther story I related was that if it did happen, and was around, others would have seen it, and it would have been talked about. But no word ever emerged.

People today don't understand that before wildlife conservation got going, and people lived on their little plots and scraped out some vegetables, deer were close to nonexistent. A deer sighting would be reported in the newspaper. That's hard to believe today, but that's, in fact, how it was. Now, that was back in Depression times, and the panther story was decades later, but still, a BLACK panther, especially, rather than the usual tawny, would have been seen by people and reported on.

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 10th, 2019 at 10:05 AM.

Old March 10th, 2019 #28
FEMAAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
the craziest things that ever happened to both sides of my family:

1) my maternal grandmother was bitten by rattlesnake on ear, goes into coma (6yo). (this is around SF, northern calif) doesn't come out. someone tells them about christian science. they pray, and she does comes out. that's illogic to me, but i wouldnt exist if she hadnt.

i think the rattlesnake was in a bush, how it got to ear level. really the story should have been written down formally. you will notice there is IRrationality involved, but nothing supernatural. in my opinion.

2) father's side. my paternal grandfather and dad and two uncles were in a car coming home somewhere in back county (adair misso., where i am now), a black panther ran across the road in front of them. absolutely no mistaking what it was. four non-drunk Linders saw it. my grandfather was so disturbed by the sighting he wouldnt ever talk about it, it was so out of place. they never saw any reports about any cats missing from circuses or zoos. this was probably the 1950s. there ARE panthers roaming more places than you'd think, ive had multiple people tell me they've seen them or their tracks. and there are verified reports of them at different times in Missouri Conservationist.
your grandma probably like any curious person, sees snake, wants to get closer look. doesn't know it's a snake that can leap 6 feet and bite her.

most snakes can't strike such a distance

here is a person's natural reaction when they see rattle snake, get down on their knees and crawl under the bush for a closer look

Old March 10th, 2019 #29
FEMAAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbaugh View Post
It happened one night, about two months ago:

I was abducted by two alien beings who had cleverly disguised themselves as my friends, Jimbo and Steve.

They took me aboard their alien spacecraft, which was made up to look like Jimbo's '73 Dodge Dart, wherein I was transported to their secret, alien, testing laboratory, concealed in the stockroom of the A&P, where I was repeatedly, anally probed--alien language sounding much like human laughter.
i believe you

Old March 10th, 2019 #30
Erik T. White

Quote:
That's great stuff, Twain mocking 3 or 4 different things at once, showing the true master. I have the actual book on Christian Science, was not cheap to acquire.

Twain has the white mentality. Christian Science is a classic NE Waspism, altho what is actually interesting about it is that it is legitimately nondogmatic. Christian Scientists are generally fairly well off economically and generally cheerful. They are not fanatic. I cannot think of another example of an -ism generated by NE wasps that isn't 100% intolerant, crazy and forced on any animal the WASP can get in his net.
There were quite a few of my distant cousins on my maternal side of our family who were Christian Scientists. They were all really nice folks, and were well-educated and we all got along really well.

Having the actual book by Twain, I'm sure, was not cheap. Back in the 1960s was when I heard of Twain's book from a social studies teacher in high school. It had to be in restricted areas of libraries, such as in "rare books" areas with special permission to access it. The primary reason was that there was a very coordinated effort by members of the sect to buy or otherwise gain every copy and destroy it. I know this happened from first hand accounts from my family, as well as from what my old teacher said.

Kudos to you, Alex, for getting this rare book.

Old March 10th, 2019 #31
FEMAAlert

Quote:
The oddest thing about that panther story I related was that if it did happen, and was around, others would have seen it, and it would have been talked about. But no word ever emerged.

People today don't understand that before wildlife conservation got going, and people lived on their little plots and scraped out some vegetables, deer were close to nonexistent. A deer sighting would be reported in the newspaper. That's hard to believe today, but that's, in fact, how it was. Now, that was back in Depression times, and the panther story was decades later, but still, a BLACK panther, especially, rather than the usual tawny, would have been seen by people and reported on.
have you ever read William Dudley Pelley's writings, Star Guests?

he was leader of the Silver Shirts in the US. but he was a hollywood screen writer.

he was a fantastic writer.

talked about supernatural panthers

used to be regular sightings of black panthers in Detroit. reported in the news a few times a year.

then I got a job and we would work at house of guy with pet panther that got out occasionally

i guess alot of people do keep them as pets, but it's illegal so generally keep it quiet

Old March 10th, 2019 #32
SuDreich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Henderson View Post
The salt n pepper shakers tho, I can't figure that one out. It's either demons, ghosts, or the house wasn't level and they slid off (but u said they flew) or a lil earthquake maybe? I'm semi-disturbed now I hate them thar unknowns.

I've had the TV turn itself off or on, or switch channels, or volume goes up or down all the way to mute.... but then I see it's the doggo sitting on the remote.
No earthquake, very flat area they were sitting on, both very heavy shakers, they hurled themselves on down at the same time. Old house, hardwood floors uneven I guess.
No dogs to sit on the remotes and the unit wasn't on standby to be able to use them, anyhow. The power button was pushed in! I don't believe in spooks but what the hell

Old March 10th, 2019 #33
Tony Boone

Default Mandela Effect

https://m.youtube.com/results?search...la+effect+2019

Check out the phenomenon above documented in select videos at the link above. Avoid the childish videos. There are well made video going back at least 2015. I figure there might be new changes since then.

Also many good articles written on the subject.

From my phone. Hard to format.

Old March 10th, 2019 #34
Robbie Key

The only thing I can think of is when my grandmother told my mother that she believed that this was the last time they met and that she'd be dead within two days. And sure enough, that's what happened. She was ill but the situation wasn't like she HAD to die within a few days. Could just as well have taken a few months as a couple of days. But that's what she said - two days and then I'm gone.

Bit spooky.

Old March 10th, 2019 #35
Tony Boone

I’m certain one can speak reality into existence. Be careful what you dwell on and express verbally.

Not a sports fan but was watching an Alabama game with brother in law when at the start of this game I told him I was writing down the final score of the game. I put the paper under the television where it sat for four quarters.

When game was over I stood up retrieved the paper and handed it to bil. He opened it up to find the exact final scores of that game were on that paper. Can’t explain how I knew but I’ve had other such experiences.

Old March 10th, 2019 #36
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Boone View Post
I’m certain one can speak reality into existence. Be careful what you dwell on and express verbally.

Not a sports fan but was watching an Alabama game with brother in law when at the start of this game I told him I was writing down the final score of the game. I put the paper under the television where it sat for four quarters.

When game was over I stood up retrieved the paper and handed it to bil. He opened it up to find the exact final scores of that game were on that paper. Can’t explain how I knew but I’ve had other such experiences.
It's interesting you should mention that experience. I got hurt playing sports. worst injuries in football, and it left a sour taste in my mouth as well as a "trick knee," which would buckle at the worst times and there wasn't a damn thing that was a symptom of warning nor could I be helped by wearing a flexible bandage constantly. Back in the 1960s we used just flexible bandages since good braces were clumsy and expensive. I only played flag football in college but I did play rugby and was on the gymnastics and diving teams. I didn't like football, but one fraternity I was in sometimes played "powder puff" flag football with a sorority, and pretty girls could make me like that type of football again. As to my experience, there was a big, big game back in 1971 between the university I attended and a rival university which would clinch the SEC title for the winner. Two nights before the big game, I had a dream in which I watched the game from start to finish. When I woke up, I wrote down every damn play and the final scores. I asked some fraternity brothers to keep a sealed envelope that day, only to be opened after the game. They snickered and started making bets on whether or not I'd have a good time with the girl I was taking to the game. Well, around the third quarter, I started calling out the plays. Every one had been right up to that time and every one of mine was right!!! I even called a "freak play," where two defenders against one of the opponent's major pass receivers would run into each other, muff the tackle, and the opponent would make a 62 yard touchdown. It happened exactly as in my dream. Folks around me started getting a bit nervous, as did my date, so I stopped calling plays. My girl went to her sorority house to change into formal wear for our dinner date, and I went to change to my suit and tie. My frat brothers were shocked out of their minds!!!! They said if I had any further dreams, please let them know so they'd know which team to bet on.

I've had similar experiences. And, I don't know what in hell causes them.

Old March 11th, 2019 #37
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. White View Post
There were quite a few of my distant cousins on my maternal side of our family who were Christian Scientists. They were all really nice folks, and were well-educated and we all got along really well.

Having the actual book by Twain, I'm sure, was not cheap. Back in the 1960s was when I heard of Twain's book from a social studies teacher in high school. It had to be in restricted areas of libraries, such as in "rare books" areas with special permission to access it. The primary reason was that there was a very coordinated effort by members of the sect to buy or otherwise gain every copy and destroy it. I know this happened from first hand accounts from my family, as well as from what my old teacher said.

Kudos to you, Alex, for getting this rare book.
that's the way jews operate, disappearing books. i just dont think it was ever published in great measure, not too many people care about CS. i had never heard of it for decades until i saw it mentioned somewhere. contrast with henry ford's Intl Jew, which was published hugely and is now very hard to find.

Old March 11th, 2019 #38
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEMAAlert View Post
your grandma probably like any curious person, sees snake, wants to get closer look. doesn't know it's a snake that can leap 6 feet and bite her.
She was six. I rather imagine she was close to a bush and startled it. I doubt she was fucking with it. Then again, I would so...hmm, it's possible. Is it possible I'm a Darwin Award candidate?

I almost stepped on a rattlesnake coming out of a pit toilet in a Calif national park. I didnt even know snakes used pit toilets. Turns out that's why they're called pit vipers.

Old March 11th, 2019 #39
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEMAAlert View Post
have you ever read William Dudley Pelley's writings, Star Guests?

he was leader of the Silver Shirts in the US. but he was a hollywood screen writer.
Familiar w the name, havent read his stuff.

Old March 11th, 2019 #40
Alex Linder
Administrator

jesus, how come i never get the predictive dreams? i almost never dream, and when i do, it's just me angrily explaining something to someone who CANNOT grasp it.

kind of like the waking hours

Thread