VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 9th, 2008 #1
remnant

remnant
Default Oy Vey! Yom Kippur Crash-again

The Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar still in use to mark religious holy days. One of the holy days, Yom Kippur, in 1987 fell exactly on the third point of the four market similarities, the fall market top. There is an old stock market adage, "buy on Rosh Hashanah, (another holy day), sell on Yom Kippur." Selling stocks on Yom Kippur in 1987 was a very good thing to do. My desire to know when Yom Kippur fell in 1929 was the original impetus for my calendar investigations. The Jews borrowed their calendar from the Babylonians. A partial history of ancient calendars is explored in Chapter 8. In the Jewish calendar, the new moon is the first day of the moon cycle (month). The new moon near the spring equinox marks the first day of the first moon of the year. With this calendar I realigned the comparison of the 1929 and 1987 stock charts. The result is Figure 1-2. Shown also are the four points of similarity. Table 1-1 shows the lunar and solar dates for the same four points. The crash of 1987 occurred on the same lunar date as the crash of 1929! The other three points each fall one day later on the lunar calendar than their 1929 counterparts. Within one day, the 1929 autumnal market top occurred on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur
Could this be a coincidence? There are 354 days in a lunar year, 29.5306 days per moon times 12 moons. The 1987 crash could have occurred on any one of those 354 dates in the year, but it occurred on the same date as the 1929 crash. That's a 1 in 354 chance! Add to that the odds of the other three points falling on the same date plus or minus one day. They're very remote. It's more likely that you and I both win the lottery
http://web.archive.org/web/200702030.../chapter1.html

Old October 9th, 2008 #2
remnant

remnant

Yom Kippur 2008 starts at sundown on Wednesday October 8 (Kol Nidre), and lasts all day Thursday, October 9, 2008 until sundown.

Dow plunges 679 for 6th triple-digit loss in a rowThursday October 9, 10:47 pm ET
By Tim Paradis and Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writers
Dow plunges 679 for 6th triple-digit loss in a row on runaway train of an afternoon sell-off

NEW YORK (AP) -- A runaway train of a sell-off turned the anniversary of the stock market peak into one of the darkest days in Wall Street history Thursday, driving the Dow Jones industrials down a breathtaking 679 points and deepening a financial crisis that has defied all efforts to stop it.

An Ultra-Orthodox Jew swings a chicken over the head of an Israeli girl as she prays as part of a Kaparot ritual in which it is believed that one transfers one's sins from the past year into the chicken, in Mea Shearim ultra-orthodox neighborhood in Jerusalem, Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2008.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...10/015992.html

Thread