Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 21st, 2008 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default VNNForum's CPI

[In this thread I am going document changes in prices for basic food items over time.]

- large Russet baking potatoes sold in Hy-Vee in Kirksville, Mo., have gone from 2 for a dollar within the past year, to .88c apiece, to .99 apiece in August 2008.
 
Old August 21st, 2008 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default

8/08

Aldi:

- whole chickens up to .79c / lb. Were .49 to .59 for years.
- cans of vegetables have gone from 4/$100 to .45c apiece (corn, green beans)
 
Old August 21st, 2008 #3
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker
 
Marse Supial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where "Yes" Is A Two-Syllable Word.
Posts: 3,822
Marse Supial
Default

Given food prices, a deep freezer is one of the best investments a person can make. Catch stuff on sale or loss leaders and stock up. This past week when I was out grocery shopping, I noticed they had stacks of steaks marked down to half price because the dates were about to expire in two days. Apparently they had over bought. They looked fine, though they weren't as cherry red as the full price steaks - a little browner. I bought close to $100 worth of boneless ribeyes - only $4 / pound. Unpacked them when I got home and made sure they smelled ok. Put them in freezer bags and put them away.

GREL
 
Old August 23rd, 2008 #4
Sean Martin
......
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,397
Sean Martin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Given food prices, a deep freezer is one of the best investments a person can make.
I do the deep freeze thing myself but here are a few of my concerns, if power becomes rationed or scarce or expensive then the freezer will be an investment lost. The price of keeping the food could negate the money saved on the food.

I did find some good deals on soup the other day. Campbell’s home-style select was on sale for $1.00 a can and they are usually $2.00 a can or on sale 2 for $3.00. If prepared with some additions such as veggies (dehydrated if desired), rice or various other things these can be a good survival food.

Here is another thing for an example of how prices have raised. I was cleaning out my truck and found a receipt for livestock feed from August of last year. The price was 8.50 for 100 pounds. The exact same feed last week was $17.86 for one hundred pounds at the same place. For the past year it has consistently raised in price 10-15 cents per week.
__________________
http://www.vnnforum.com/showpost.php...64&postcount=9
Doppelhaken, Draco, Richard H, ToddinFl, Augustus Sutter, Chain, Subrosa, Jarl, White Will, whose next?
 
Old December 12th, 2008 #5
Horseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,704
Horseman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
[In this thread I am going document changes in prices for basic food items over time.]

- large Russet baking potatoes sold in Hy-Vee in Kirksville, Mo., have gone from 2 for a dollar within the past year, to .88c apiece, to .99 apiece in August 2008.

I just bought a 5lb bag of Russets for $2.49

Here's where I shop and the specials of the week:

http://supportmarketbasket.org/specials.aspx
 
Old December 14th, 2008 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
I just bought a 5lb bag of Russets for $2.49

Here's where I shop and the specials of the week:

http://supportmarketbasket.org/specials.aspx
Interesting.

I want to make it clear, I'm not buying these $1 potatoes. I'm just fascinated by their prices changes, always upward so far. They are holding firm at 99c last time I was in. I would buy potatoes at Aldi, which has the cheapest prices in this town.
 
Old December 14th, 2008 #7
Mike Jahn
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 7,526
Blog Entries: 3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Interesting.

I want to make it clear, I'm not buying these $1 potatoes. I'm just fascinated by their prices changes, always upward so far. They are holding firm at 99c last time I was in. I would buy potatoes at Aldi, which has the cheapest prices in this town.
Do you like potatoes?
 
Old December 14th, 2008 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default

Yes, one of my favorite foods, any which way. Most of the diet books are against them. Don't eat a heck of a lot of them these days, but they're one of the great foods.

Used to grow potatoes at my grandmother's; they had an earthiness, a smell absolutely particular to that patch of land, very much like I've seen them say it is with wine.
 
Old December 14th, 2008 #9
Mike Jahn
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 7,526
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Yes, one of my favorite foods, any which way. Most of the diet books are against them. Don't eat a heck of a lot of them these days, but they're one of the great foods.

Used to grow potatoes at my grandmother's; they had an earthiness, a smell absolutely particular to that patch of land, very much like I've seen them say it is with wine.
The potatoes in most grocery stores are too small, I like the huge ones, you get more for your money with those. I can see how they would have a different taste depending on the land they are grown on, peanuts are also like that.
 
Old December 15th, 2008 #10
Steve B
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 6,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Interesting.

I want to make it clear, I'm not buying these $1 potatoes. I'm just fascinated by their prices changes, always upward so far. They are holding firm at 99c last time I was in. I would buy potatoes at Aldi, which has the cheapest prices in this town.
This probably doesn't relate much to potatoes but it sure is going to affect your food bill.

California produces a whole shitload of agriculture. More than any other state and more variety. In fact California leads the nation in ag exports. There are kikes in NY right now, in December, eating fresh Broccoli that was grown and picked in Southern California's Imperial Vally only days before.

A lot of food in grown in Northern California and a lot is grown in Southern California. The problem is most of the water is in the north and has to be transported south via complex water conveyance systems. The water in the north in drying up. The north won't ship anymore water south for farms, ranches, orchards etc when their supplies dip to a certain level. And that's been the case for a number of years now. No water, no crops, no food, price rises.

What's adding to the problem is the shortage of water is making the price skyrocket. Los Angeles-area cities are begging for water and coaxing northern farmers to let their fields go to dust. Northern California farmers can make more money selling their water supplies to thirsty cities and farms to the south than by growing crops.

Less crops in the south being planted and less in the north being planted....way less. Less food, higher prices.
 
Old December 16th, 2008 #11
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type
 
Kind Lampshade Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Where you least expect
Posts: 8,265
Kind Lampshade Maker
Default I sure miss ripe tomatoes in winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
...The problem is most of the water is in the north and has to be transported south via complex water conveyance systems. The water in the north in drying up...
I thought they were going to tap Mexico for water. What happened with that plan?
__________________
 
Old December 20th, 2008 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jahn View Post
The potatoes in most grocery stores are too small, I like the huge ones, you get more for your money with those. I can see how they would have a different taste depending on the land they are grown on, peanuts are also like that.
I have some hard photos, non-digital, of some of the potatoes I grew - they were big as softballs.

The produce I've seen in stores the last couple years has seemed puny. The potatoes are shrimpy, and some of the other stuff seems small and inferior condition.
 
Old December 20th, 2008 #13
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default

Big new: the price of big Russet baking potatoes at Hy-Vee in Kirksville, Missouri, has dropped from 99c apiece to 59c. (12/19/08)
 
Old December 20th, 2008 #14
Mike Mazzone of Palatine
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: With my awesome parents
Posts: 7,802
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Yes, one of my favorite foods, any which way.
I like raw potatoes diced and smothered with sea salt, olive oil, and honey. I recently bought a 10 lb bag on sale for $2.
 
Old December 21st, 2008 #15
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type
 
Kind Lampshade Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Where you least expect
Posts: 8,265
Kind Lampshade Maker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
...The produce I've seen in stores the last couple years has seemed puny. The potatoes are shrimpy, and some of the other stuff seems small and inferior condition.
That's probably the result of corporate farms gobbling up the traditional farmer. They dump their catch over a screen and keep the big ones to sell to chain restaurants for cutting into fries
__________________
 
Old December 21st, 2008 #16
Mike Mazzone of Palatine
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: With my awesome parents
Posts: 7,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
That's probably the result of corporate farms gobbling up the traditional farmer. They dump their catch over a screen and keep the big ones to sell to chain restaurants for cutting into fries
 
Old March 16th, 2011 #17
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default

2011 march (kirksville, missouri - where people make the difference, and air is free)

chicken: .69/lb for whole chickens (hy-vee)

- they were about double this the last 2-3 weeks. they were 6.50 (highest price i've seen in 10 years) for a whole chicken, now half that, about 3.50.

potatoes: 10-lb bag of russet potatoes for $4.49; 5-lb bag for $2.49

cheese: 24-oz block of cheddar for $5.99

- this price has held pretty firm at hy-vee for years, for some reason

hamburger: 3-lb tube of 80/20 for $9.89 (hy-vee, would be dollars cheaper at aldi)

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 16th, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
 
Old March 16th, 2011 #18
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe
 
Rae Kiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 1,908
Rae Kiley
Default

I just bought (2) 5lb bags of russet potatoes at Pigley Wigley for $5.00 I was also able to buy local eggs for $1.19 dozen, they are extra large.
__________________
Quote:
This country will not be free until the last nigger is strangled with the intestines of the last social "scientist" `Jhoffa_X
 
Old March 16th, 2011 #19
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker
 
Marse Supial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where "Yes" Is A Two-Syllable Word.
Posts: 3,822
Marse Supial
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Kiley View Post
I just bought (2) 5lb bags of russet potatoes at Pigley Wigley for $5.00 I was also able to buy local eggs for $1.19 dozen, they are extra large.
Watch, your going to get about a dozen replies along the lines of "WTF is a Piggly Wiggly".



It's a Southern thang.

That pig character might make a good avatar for somebody..

Last edited by Marse Supial; March 16th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.
 
Old March 16th, 2011 #20
Alex Linder
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45,375
Blog Entries: 34
Alex Linder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Kiley View Post
I just bought (2) 5lb bags of russet potatoes at Pigley Wigley for $5.00 I was also able to buy local eggs for $1.19 dozen, they are extra large.
yeah, i need to regularize this. eggs will be part of the list we're tracking.
 
Reply

Share


Thread
Display Modes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.
Page generated in 0.15311 seconds.