Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 26th, 2013 #21
keifer

Just some info on archery compound bows/gear.
Mathews and Hoyt are top brand names in hunting. A new bow stripped of any add ons will run ya about a 1000 bucks. At this time of year the new models are coming out and therefore a 2013 bow of these brands (Stripped) off the shelf can be had for about 700. Prime is another top name and can cost a little more dough. Generally speaking, this brand is most seen in the target arena, but they do make quality hunting bows.
Sites go anywhere from 50-350.
Rests go for 20(Whisker biscuit)-120(Drop-away).
Release trigger system go for 50-100+ Get one that adjusts in length so as to make up for half inch differences in your draw length. Most compounds adjust to one inch increment differences, but more often than not a persons draw length is that of a 1/2 inch measurement: 28.5, 27.5 and so on.
Arrows are about 80-100+ per dozen.
Stabilizers are 20-150+
Broadheads are about 10-12 each.

Once the bow is bought and set up, the cost of shooting is that of pennies compared to firearms. It costs me a hundred bucks a year to shoot. It would not even cost that much if not for the fact that I buy new arrows every year just prior to hunting season.

Mid priced bows like PSE can be had new with all the setup mentioned above for about 6-800 bucks. Mathews has a sister company called Mission. The selling price is about 5-700 stripped. This is a good bow.

Generally speaking, the difference between a hunting bow and target is the gear you put on the bow. With target bows the gear is optimize accuracy but this gear is not necessarily conducive to hunting. With hunting there are compromises to "could-be-accuracey" in light of the fact that target gear accentuates the bows profile with excessive protrusions therefore causes hardship when navigating in the wilderness. Any bow that launches an arrow is a hunting bow.
Compounds are defined by dual cams(Hoyt) and solo-cams(Mathews). Solo-cams are smoother and easier to tune in light of the fact that dual cams are susceptible to the two cams being out of sequence with one another making it a little more difficult to tune, but not to any great extent.

Old October 27th, 2013 #22
Karl Radl
The Epitome of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Keifer, any thoughts on whether a bow could still be a viable weapon for battle? Particularly for something like a surprise attack, or guerrilla warfare?
It was used as a weapon of war for such situations in World War II at times. SOE for example are rumoured to have encouraged the use of bows by resistance groups in the early days since they could safely stored, replaced easily if need be and also could be made more lethal by the addition of naturally-occurring poisons to the arrowhead.

I would say that it could ever be used in small scale combat and then ambushes for preference as otherwise if you opponent had guns then they would be a distinct advantage, because they could take cover while firing and you'd have to stand-up unless you are using a crossbow.

Archery is one of my favourite past times, but alas I have had little opportunity as of late to get practice in.

Old November 11th, 2013 #25
DeanSanders
Banned

I have practiced archery on and off since I was a kid. I remember hunting various tiny woodland varmints with a recurve bow since I was around six years old. I think it had to be a Bear. I owned a few recurves over the years, but made my first jump to a compound bow in my mid-teens.

I used the same compound for about 25 years until I invested in a PSE Venom. With the exception of the unusually heavy weight, I have found it to be an outstanding bow. I was amazed on how much the compound bow tech had advanced over the years, particularly in the amount of let off and how damn flat a trajectory could be achieved. I had to radically change my perspective on adjusting for distance, angle, etc...

While I would agree with someone who said there is a science to using a bow, I have to say that I believe it to be more of an art than a science. Get to know the feel of your bow, how it performs, the specific aspects of your arrows, and practice often. After a while, your bow sight will become only a reference point because you won't need a sight to know exactly how much to adjust your shot vertically for distance or for wind. I imagine for people who really spend a lot of time practicing a sight becomes an actual hindrance, especially where a peep sight is used and speed is a factor.

I don't practice as much as I should or would like to, but have become comfortable with shots of 75+ yards in a 9 inch circle consistently without aid of multiple range sights. I have one and it is simply a reference set at 25 yards at this point in the game.

Thread