Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 18th, 2008 #21
OTPTT
Banned

Thanks Mark. There must be a field manual for hunting like there is for flowers, insects, rocks, etc. I'll get the basics on the hunted as I find the land to hunt.

For the collection I submit the noble tapir.

Old December 18th, 2008 #22
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
...I have seen full sized 300-400 lb wild boar been taken down with .22 long rifle...
That would have been funny, if you had advised him to confront a tusky boar with the squirrel gun, rather than send him to the front with the sensible armament mentioned in the same sentence. The unbearability of his O'Bama avatar is reason enough to justify the aforementioned sensible advice ommission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
... Keep in mind to NOT hunt boar during their mating season as the males emit a horrible stench that makes dealing with their carcasses almost unbearable right after bagging them...
Horrible to men. But, who knows? Perhaps, attending bar, immediately afterwards, might draw more female admiration after the hunt than not

Old December 18th, 2008 #23
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
That would have been funny, if you had advised him to confront a tusky boar with the squirrel gun, rather than send him to the front with the sensible armament mentioned in the same sentence.
I fail to see the humor there chef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
The unbearability of his O'Bama avatar
You realize that's artwork for products I and another poster sell on another website right? It's not like I'm a fan of the Chimp in Chief elect.

Old December 18th, 2008 #24
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
I fail to see the humor there chef...
But, appearantly he with the "Trust Me" customized user title was almost heard laughing

Old March 20th, 2009 #25
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

Thumbs up

Rare reptile found first time in 200 years:
A hatchling with lineage dating to the dinosaur age found in New Zealand

The juvenile baby tuatara hatchling of the rare reptile with lineage dating back to the dinosaur age was found on the New Zealand mainland for the first time in about 200 years.

By Ray Lilley

March. 20, 2009

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A hatchling of a rare reptile with lineage dating back to the dinosaur age has been found in the wild on the New Zealand mainland for the first time in about 200 years, a wildlife official said Thursday.

The baby tuatara was discovered by staff during routine maintenance work at the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary in the capital, Wellington, conservation manager Raewyn Empson said.

"We are all absolutely thrilled with this discovery," Empson said. "It means we have successfully re-established a breeding population back on the mainland, which is a massive breakthrough for New Zealand conservation."

Tuatara, which measure up to 32 inches (80 cm) when full grown, are the last descendants of a lizard-like reptile species that walked the Earth with the dinosaurs 225 million years ago, zoologists say.

There are estimated to be about 50,000 of them living in the wild on 32 small offshore islands cleared of predators, but this is the first time a hatchling has been seen on the mainland in about 200 years.

The New Zealand natives were nearly extinct on the country's three main islands by the late 1700s due to the introduction of predators such as rats.

Empson said the hatchling is thought to be about one month old and likely came from an egg laid about 16 months ago. Two nests of eggs — the size of pingpong balls — were unearthed in the sanctuary last year and tuatara were expected to hatch around this time.

"He is unlikely to be the only baby to have hatched this season, but seeing him was an incredible fluke," she said.

The youngster faces a tough journey to maturity despite being in the 620-acre (250 hectare) sanctuary and protected by a predator-proof fence. It will have to run from the cannibalistic adult tuatara, and would make a tasty snack for birds of prey, Empson said.

"Like all the wildlife living here, he'll just have to take his chances," Empson said.

"They've been extinct on the mainland for a long time," said Lindsay Hazley, tuatara curator at the Southland Museum and Art Gallery on South Island. He added that "you can breed tuatara by eliminating risk, but to have results like this among many natural predators (like native birds) is a positive sign."

About 200 tuatara have been released since 2005 into the Karori Sanctuary, which was established to breed native birds, insects and other creatures.

Tuatara have unique characteristics, such as two rows of top teeth closing over one row at the bottom and a parietal eye — a dot on the top of the skull that is believed to be light-sensitive and is sometimes referred to as the animal's third eye.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29776134/?gt1=43001

Old September 3rd, 2009 #26
Tom McReen

Default Albino otter spotted by photographer

Quote:
A rare albino otter has been captured on camera by an amateur wildlife photographer in the north of Scotland.

Karen Jack said the sight of the white animal eating a fish on rocks in Moray was "surreal".

Grace Yoxon, of the Skye-based International Otter Survival Fund (IOSF) said the otter was "extremely rare". She said there were no figures for the number of albino otters, but it was unaware of there being any others reported in the UK.

Ms Jack had to wait for the animal to reappear from the sea after catching a brief glimpse of it earlier.

She said: "I have been into photography for about three years as a hobby and love photographing wildlife, landscapes and my two cats.

"But it was just an amazing and surreal view of the albino otter, and for it to sit there and eat while we watched on was mind-blowing."

Mrs Yoxon said: "It is extremely rare to see albino animals in the wild and to be able to get such wonderful photos is exceptional.

"Karen was extremely lucky to have her camera with her - I am very envious."

In March, IOSF took into its care an otter that latched on to two teenagers who were sledging, then followed them home.

The cub was spotted in snow under a bush at Windygates, Fife, in February. He was nicknamed Dylan because one of the youngsters was playing a harmonica, an instrument synonymous with singer Bob Dylan.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...tographer.html

'Gentiles are supernal garbage' - Rabbi Schneur Zalman, founder of Chabad-Lubavitch.

Old October 24th, 2009 #27
COTW
Overseer

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old October 26th, 2009 #28
Kind Lampshade Maker

Default If insects count, here's an extinction-endangered cricket

The Oedipoda germanica who's natural habitat is in southernmost Germany:

http://www.badische-zeitung.de/vogts...euschreckenart

Old October 26th, 2009 #29
Amy

Polar Bear-Grizzly Hybrid Discovered

DNA analysis has confirmed that a bear shot in the Canadian Arctic last month is a half-polar bear, half-grizzly hybrid. While the two bear species have interbred in zoos, this is the first evidence of a wild polar bear-grizzly offspring.

Jim Martell (pictured at left), a 65-year-old hunter from Idaho, shot the bear April 16 on the southern tip of Banks Island (see Northwest Territories map), the CanWest News Service reports.

Wildlife officials seized the bear after noticing its white fur was interspersed with brown patches. It also had long claws, a concave facial profile, and a humped back, which are characteristic of a grizzly.

Now the genetic tests have confirmed that the hybrid's father was a grizzly and its mother was a polar bear.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rid-photo.html

Old October 26th, 2009 #30
Kind Lampshade Maker

In other words, this is the first case of Mudsharking between races of bears. This is what happens when animals are kept in captivity

Old October 26th, 2009 #31
Kind Lampshade Maker

Default 'Giant' orb web spider discovered

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8316720.stm

Quote:
...Only the females of this groups of species are giants, with a leg span of up to 12cm (4.7in); the male spiders are tiny by comparison.

Scientists say the female spiders are capable of spinning webs that reach up to 1m (3ft 3in) in diameter...

Old October 26th, 2009 #32
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
Polar Bear-Grizzly Hybrid Discovered

DNA analysis has confirmed that a bear shot in the Canadian Arctic last month is a half-polar bear, half-grizzly hybrid. While the two bear species have interbred in zoos, this is the first evidence of a wild polar bear-grizzly offspring.

Jim Martell (pictured at left), a 65-year-old hunter from Idaho, shot the bear April 16 on the southern tip of Banks Island (see Northwest Territories map), the CanWest News Service reports.

Wildlife officials seized the bear after noticing its white fur was interspersed with brown patches. It also had long claws, a concave facial profile, and a humped back, which are characteristic of a grizzly.
Wild stuff. Its paw and snout definitley look grizzly, but I guess fur isn't like skin - maybe the lighter fur is dominant over the dark.

Old October 27th, 2009 #33
Kind Lampshade Maker

Race mixing in the animal world is also ugly as is Homo Sapien race blending.
Note the gruesome rings around the bear's eyes, for instance. They remind me of something out of Night of the Living Dead or The Addams Family:

Old February 5th, 2010 #34
Kind Lampshade Maker

Old February 5th, 2010 #35
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

The Humboldt Squid.

Up to 60lbs each and damn fun to catch. They have been all over the waters of Southern California lately and I have been lucky enough to go fishing for them a few times now.

Some tree huggers are calling us cruel for fishing for them because its unknown why they are in So Cal waters this time of year. What they dont understand is the things are like carp. they are destroying the local fisheries by eating everything in their path, including each other.

And yes, they make a hell of a lot of calamari.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old February 10th, 2010 #36
Kind Lampshade Maker

Default A newly discovered deep-sea snake caught on film:

http://bazonline.ch/wissen/natur/Biz...story/18669991

Old July 22nd, 2011 #37
Silver
Sharpshooter

Albino Moose north of Wisconsin border in the UP.

2 albino White-tails somewhere in Western Wisconsin.

My best ice fishin' partner -Gunner- posing for a photo.

2 more albino White-tailed deer, spotted outside of Boulder Junction,WI

Old July 22nd, 2011 #38
Freya von Asgard
卍 Überfrau 卐

Default Stop aux abandons des animaux domestiques !

卍 Freya Magna, Augusta Europaea 卐

Old July 23rd, 2011 #39
Bruce Rideout
Flight Instructor

Thumbs up Rare Raccoon

Meet Sweety the beauty pageant Raccoon. She loves having her picture taken, and stares at herself on the camera screen.
Havn't seen her in a week. Prayers for you, Sweety. Stay wild.

Old December 26th, 2011 #40
ray bateson
baппed

Giant weta, noshing a carrot.

Watusi bull.

Thread