VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 8th, 2014 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default #1 Sitegeist (Spirit of Place) Thread: What X location is _really_ like

phoenix

http://www.vice.com/read/reasons-why...rst-place-ever

fits my opinion/light impressions of phoenix. i would take slc 100x before phoenix.

Old September 26th, 2014 #2
ericthered
Idle Anger

I could never grasp why anyone would build a city in the desert, or live in one.

Old April 15th, 2017 #4
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Aside from making me yearn for all the crab boils I enjoyed growing up on the Gulf Coast in the 40s, 50s, and 60s...I noticed that the eighth photograph at this link shows a poster, or two posters of Huey Long, a governor of and senator from Louisiana. He was a populist and got lots of standard politicians angry. He was assassinated in 1937.

The book, All the King's Men, was written about him. Once I set out to read every book that had won the Pulitzer Prize since 1945. All the King's Men won the prize in 1947. And, that's about as far as I got.

And, to stay on topic. Yes, Phoenix sucks, and if you know how to comport yourself, Louisiana can be a very good place to be. If nothing else, for the food.

Mike

Late edit: Huey Long was assassinated September 10, 1935. I was going on memory, and I got it wrong.

Last edited by Mike in Denver; April 16th, 2017 at 02:55 AM.

Thread