VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 4th, 2012 #21
Alex Linder
Administrator

[historical incident new to me. from David Irving]

Last week I referred in my answers to a Greek journalist to the little-known 1938 American seizure of two British islands in the Pacific, needed by Pan American Airways as landing grounds -- the Canton Island episode. A reader has sent this useful extract from Collier's Year Book, the 1938 Archive. Its reticent treatment of this episode, in which President Franklin D Roosevelt exploited the Austrian Anschluss crisis as a smokescreen for his own little invasion operation, is noteworthy:

"1938: International Law - Canton and Enderbury Islands. - Announcement was made in Washington, March 3 [1938], that for reasons of commercial aviation and naval strategy, the State and Navy Departments had studied certain [British] islands with a view to pressing claims to their ownership. Two days later formal claim was made to sovereignty over Canton and Enderbury Islands in the Central Pacific Ocean and to lands first visited by Americans in Antarctica. An American occupation expedition [a force of US Marines] landed March 6 on the Pacific Islands, and March 9 Prime Minister Chamberlain told the House of Commons that Great Britain 'reserves her right over the islands.'

"The [U.S.] Department of the Interior April 1 issued a license granting commercial air rights on Canton Island. On Aug. 11 the Department of State announced that Britain and the United States had agreed to set up a régime for their common use of the two islands in connection with international aviation and communications, the question of title being left in abeyance 'for a protracted period'."

So the islands were "studied" by Washington? Five years ago I studied the recently released PRO file on this unattractive little episode (in the Public Record Office, FO.371 series, piece 26,199, a file entitled 'United States claim to certain Pacific Islands' -- it had been closed until 1992).

I found that the file contained a couple of charming photographs of the grass hut occupied by the British Resident on Canton Island, at the edge of the landing ground which Pan Am coveted; the British Union Flag was still flying in that photo -- which is more than can be said for Pan Am today. Is there a lesson here for those who meddled with the British Empire?

http://www.fpp.co.uk//docs/Irving/Ra...05/121005.html

Last edited by Alex Linder; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Old August 4th, 2012 #22
OTPTT
Banned

I hadn't how realized prevalent their revealing their secrets in television shows and movies was even back in the 1960s. Check out this Batman show from 1966 at 15:10 minutes.

John Kerry (Skull & Bones 1966) faced off against George W. Bush (Skull & Bones 1968) in the 2004 US presidential election, the first time two Bonesmen had run against one another for that office.
George H.W. Bush was also a Skull & Bones member.

No doubt a Bonesman had a hand in producing the Batman television series.

Last edited by OTPTT; August 4th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.

Old August 10th, 2012 #23
Horseman

Ligers are the biggest cats in the world. some attribute this to hybrid vigor (a theory proven wrong)

Old August 12th, 2012 #24
Fenria
Self imposed ban

Tabs on the sides of foil and plastic wrap packages to keep the roll in place instead of having it jump out of the box and onto the floor every time you try to get a length of the product!

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/locktab.asp

Who knew!?

Old August 12th, 2012 #25
Squarehead Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenria View Post
Tabs on the sides of foil and plastic wrap packages to keep the roll in place instead of having it jump out of the box and onto the floor every time you try to get a length of the product!http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/locktab.aspWho knew!?
Thank You for this info Fenria, it is truly helpful.
I, like I'm sure a lot of other people, never knew those tabs existed.
Half of the time when I go to use that kind of thing (especially the plastic wrap) the roll flies out of the box, hits the ground, and rolls across the kitchen floor.
Grrrrrrr!

I think the companies that make these products should put an easily visible graphic on the top of the boxes showing the existence and purpose of these things.
Like I said, I never knew about them, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Just out of curiosity, after reading your post, I went and checked the boxes of these things I have in my kitchen cupboard, and sure enough the end tabs are there.
Thanks again for the tip.

Old August 22nd, 2012 #26
M.N. Dalvez

The colloquial expression 'pig', meaning a policeman, has been in the English language at least since 1811, and perhaps as early as the mid-1700's.

Old August 27th, 2012 #27
M.N. Dalvez

Bulls are colour blind. The matador attracts their attention with their motions and the noises they make, not the colour of the cape they use.

Old August 27th, 2012 #28
littlefieldjohn

Leon Bronstein-Trotsky was living in New York City earning money as a film extra during the closing years of World War I.

Old August 27th, 2012 #29
varg

http://reddit.com/r/todayilearned

Old August 27th, 2012 #30
Alex Linder
Administrator

Came across this word in a history of FBI:

steganography

It means: hiding a secret message in a picture (or some other larger message)

The practice of hiding messages, so that the presence of the message itself is hidden, often by writing them in places where they may not be found.

Specifically: the use of small files in computers to communicate secret information.

Usage notes

Steganography differs from cryptography in that cryptography conceals only the content of the message through encryption. Steganography conceals the presence of the message itself.

Etymology

From Ancient Greek στεγανός (steganos, “cover, roof”) + γράφω (graphō, “I write”)

Old August 27th, 2012 #31
varg

Yes that works on the computer too. There's a section of computer forensics and cryptography devoted to steganography. For example, in some image file formats you're able to embed other information, usually encrypted.

Old August 27th, 2012 #32
Angel Ramsey
Banned

This is not a photograph. This is airbrush artwork by Dru Blair. Dru is the world's leader in photrealistic painting.

This is not computer generated, photo-shopped, or any of that shit. This is a painting he did by hand.

Old August 27th, 2012 #33
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
This is not a photograph. This is airbrush artwork by Dru Blair. Dru is the world's leader in photrealistic painting.

This is not computer generated, photo-shopped, or any of that shit. This is a painting he did by hand.

That's amazing. I'm jealous of very little, but the ability to paint I lack and it's always pissed me off. because it would be SO useful politically.

Old August 28th, 2012 #34
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

http://www.myspace.com/video/dru/dru...foose/22843507

The above link is embedded in Myspace, but in English. The embedded video has German translation, but you can still hear what they are talking about in the background.

Old August 28th, 2012 #35
Alex Linder
Administrator

chamfering - cutting envelopes with scalpels and then resealing them undetected. (an intelligence technique developed by the British)

tr.v. cham·fered, cham·fer·ing, cham·fers
1. To cut off the edge or corner of; bevel.
2. To cut a groove in; flute.
n.
1. A flat surface made by cutting off the edge or corner of a block of wood or other material.
2. A furrow or groove, as in a column.

[Probably back-formation from chamfering, from French chanfrein, bevelled edge, from past participle of Old French chanfreindre, to bevel : chant, edge (from Latin canthus, iron tire; see cant1) + fraindre, to break (from Latin frangere; see bhreg- in Indo-European roots).]

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chamfering

Old August 28th, 2012 #36
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

That the only reason this guy got in trouble is his criminal record didn't allow him to posess firearms or explosives.

Blowing up the Dump Truck with Tannerite on one's own property, however, is perfectly legal.

Old August 28th, 2012 #37
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
Ghillie suits are a Scottish invention, having been developed and named for the ghillies (servants) who accompanied hunters on deerstalking and game hunting expeditions. They were introduced into the military during the second Boer War by the Lovat Scouts, a Scottish military regiment who went on to become a sniper unit in the British military.
I did not know that.

Old August 29th, 2012 #38
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

It's hard to wrap your mind around the differences between a million, a billion, and a trillion. This helps bring it into perspective.

How much is a Million?
How much is a Billion?
How much is a Trillion?
What's the difference between a million, a billion, a trillion?
A million seconds is 12 days.
A billion seconds is 31 years.
A trillion seconds is 31,688 years.

A million minutes ago was – 1 year, 329 days, 10 hours and 40 minutes ago.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.

A million hours ago was in 1885.
A billion hours ago man had not yet walked on earth.

A million dollars ago was five (5) seconds ago at the U.S. Treasury.
A billion dollars ago was late yesterday afternoon at the U.S. Treasury.
[Note: this was pre-Obama]

A trillion dollars is so large a number that only politicians
can use the term in conversation... probably because they
seldom think about what they are really saying. I've read that
mathematicians do not even use the term trillion!
Here is some perspective on TRILLION:

Trillion = 1,000,000,000,000.
The country has not existed for a trillion seconds.
Western civilization has not been around a trillion seconds.
One trillion seconds ago – 31,688 years – Neanderthals stalked the plains of Europe
http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/Taxes/million.htm

Listening to Politicians talk about a trillion dollars this, a trillion dollars that just makes me fucking sick.

Old August 29th, 2012 #39
Roy
Perception Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
That's amazing. I'm jealous of very little, but the ability to paint I lack and it's always pissed me off. because it would be SO useful politically.
There are websites set up to hire illustrators to do work. I typed in "Where can I hire an illustrator" and found a few of them.

Also, I was told to specify an illustrator, not an artist. "Artist" is sometimes used by degenerate scribblers. "Illustrator" means the things they draw are identifiable as objects/persons/animals.

I bet that there are people out there that would volunteer to do political cartoons if you started a thread or new forum for it. There is a desperate need for it, as I still see stuff from the 1930's re-hashed, loooong before the internet was even a part of science fiction.

Old August 29th, 2012 #40
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
There are websites set up to hire illustrators to do work. I typed in "Where can I hire an illustrator" and found a few of them.

Also, I was told to specify an illustrator, not an artist. "Artist" is sometimes used by degenerate scribblers. "Illustrator" means the things they draw are identifiable as objects/persons/animals.

I bet that there are people out there that would volunteer to do political cartoons if you started a thread or new forum for it. There is a desperate need for it, as I still see stuff from the 1930's re-hashed, loooong before the internet was even a part of science fiction.
yeah, i know. it's still not the same thing. you cant ever truly convey to someone more than a general idea.

Thread