Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 8th, 2020 #1
alex revision

Default 10 Invasive Species You Can Eat (and Why You Should)

10 Invasive Species You Can Eat (and Why You Should)

November 06, 2020

As an increasing number of invasive plants and animals travel around the world, more and more people are turning to a somewhat obvious solution to curb the spread: eating them. This growing movement of invasivores – people who consume edible invasive species, encourages communities to do something humans have had a knack for in the past – eating a species to extinction.1

The arrival of invasive plants and animals to an ecosystem can cause irreversible changes, including the displacement of native plants and animals, as well as the alteration of nutrient cycling and other ecosystem functions. Nonnative species are considered one of the greatest threats to imperiled species in the United States, second only to habitat loss.

https://www.treehugger.com/invasive-...an-eat-5084844

Old November 8th, 2020 #2
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

My second job after I graduated from University was at the JSC near Houston. My parents lived only about 18 miles away and my father had a shrimp boat. One of the invasive fish back then was the Lion Fish, described in the article. My dad would ocassionally pull one up in the nets.

He gave me fish weekly, and shrimp. I'd spent my life scaling and cleaning fish and cleaned the Lion fish...it was the boneist fish I'd ever cleaned. No problem for me. Very few people would be willing to clean a Lion Fish.

I did and it was worth it. One of the most delicious fish I've ever eaten.

Mike

Last edited by Mike in Denver; November 8th, 2020 at 11:59 AM.

Old November 9th, 2020 #3
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Lion Fish is #3 in the posted article.

Nutria is #2. Nutria is a huge swamp rat. It is all over the swampy areas of the Gulf Coast. Lots in Texas, even where I grew up near Galveston. It lives along the banks of creeks, bays, bayous.

They hold Nutria barbecues often. I've never partaken, nor has anyone I know or grew up with...just a bit over the line to me.

However, Lion Fish, as I wrote, is quite delicate and delicious. Better if you can persuade someone else to scale and clean it.

Mike

Old November 11th, 2020 #4
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Back to important stuff.

Bullfrogs is #5 on the articles list. Hmmm never heard that they were invasive. They are pretty much everywhere. I grew up eating frog legs. I've not been on the gulf coast in decades, but they were an item in many restaurants. As a kid on the Texas Gulf Coast we would gig them. A gig is a pole with a spear on the end, usually a multi-pronged spear.

Crayfish are #8. Ditto above. I've eaten them from Texas to Florida, mostly in restaurants. When I was I think 7 we took a little trip to Kansas City. I remember in a park there were dozens of people catching crayfish. My cousins and I caught a bushel of them and my aunt cooked them up for a meal.

Crayfish...crawdads...crawfish...you choose.

Important stuff -- take notes.

Mike

Old October 29th, 2021 #5
Mick Walker
Banned

Default Dead wrong: 15 Wilderness survival myths that could cost you your life

There is something about the thought of being able to survive and make it through safely in the wilderness that is thrilling for most people. Time and again, that idea has been glorified in movies and television shows. However,*being able to survive in the midst of nature’s harsh conditions is not a simple affair.

Life-saving survival skills cannot be learned merely from watching movies or television shows. Worse, you may have actually heard several survival tips or advice that are actually wrong.

Below are 15*wilderness survival myths that could cost you your life in the wild: (h/t to*PreppersWill.com)

1. Using a solar still is a great way to get water in the wild.

A solar still is a simple device used to obtain fresh*water*using only solar energy. It is typically used in far-flung areas with limited access to water.*The idea is that as the sun’s energy heats water from the ground to the point of evaporation, vapor will rise then condense into water again as it cools. The water will then drip into a container.

But rarely will you get enough water from a solar still. This is because how much water you can get from a solar still depends*on various factors, including the moisture levels in the ground*and the climate. As such, a solar still is not a very reliable tool to get clean drinking water in the wild, let alone in a survival situation.

2. Moss only grows on the north side of a tree.

Moss often grows on the north side of trees in the northern hemisphere. But in the southern hemisphere, moss generally grows on the south side of trees and other surfaces. Moss also grows best in shady spots that are moist or humid. If in doubt, it is better to use a compass for navigation.

3. You can eat anything you see birds and other animals eat.

Many of the foods humans eat are not safe for pets like cats and dogs. Likewise, many of the foods that animals eat are not safe for humans. Animals have different digestive systems from humans, which is why they can safely consume various foods in the wild that would otherwise cause health problems in humans.

4. Wild mushrooms are a reliable survival food.

Be careful when foraging for*mushrooms*as many edible ones have poisonous look-alikes. If you do not know your mushrooms, it is best to leave them alone and forage for other foods instead.

5. Water should be boiled for five minutes to be made potable.

Boiling water for less than a minute is usually enough to kill waterborne pathogens, like bacteria and parasites because* water boils at 212 F at sea level, and these organisms die at 158 F. But in high-altitude places it boils at lower temps; in that case, it is better to boil water for a full minute just to be safe.

6. Finding shelter is always your top priority if you get lost in the wild.

Finding or making a temporary shelter should be one of your priorities if you get lost in the wild. However, whether or not it should be your top priority will depend on the situation at hand.

For example, if it is the middle of the day and the weather is pleasant, shelter will not be much of a priority. Finding water and food will be more important. But if it starts raining, you should look for shelter first.

Put simply, do not*rely on a rigid set of rules.*Adjust your priorities depending on the situation.

More here...

https://survival.news/2021-10-26-dan...al-myths.html#

Thread