Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 1st, 2015 #1
keifer

Default .22LR vs .22Magnum

Can a .22 magnum be used in a .22LR bolt action that is designed for .22LR.
Beyond magazine specs that would prohibit this, can you simply drop a .22 magnum into the .22lr chamber by hand and safely fire the rifle.

Old March 1st, 2015 #2
Crowe

A .22magnum rifle will fire a .22LR round, not the other way around. .22 magnum is too long to fit in the chamber of a .22LR.

I bought a .22 magnum rifle for about $120 about 6-7 years ago. Has a tube feed magazine. I prefer a 22LR/.410 over and under for a utility rifle over a basic .22LR or .22 magnum.

Old March 6th, 2015 #3
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
A .22magnum rifle will fire a .22LR round, not the other way around. .22 magnum is too long to fit in the chamber of a .22LR.

I bought a .22 magnum rifle for about $120 about 6-7 years ago. Has a tube feed magazine. I prefer a 22LR/.410 over and under for a utility rifle over a basic .22LR or .22 magnum.
I just saw this. A .22 mag. cartridge is bigger around than a regular .22. A .22lr (or long, or short) will fire in a magnum chamber but that doesn't mean it is safe to do so, and manufacturers usually warn against the practice.

Having said that, I will admit to firing probably thousands of rounds of regular .22 through a magnum cylinder on an old High Standard revolver. It had both cylinders, both regular .22LR and .22mag. I tended to just leave the magnum cylinder in it. Haven't shot it in decades, some part or another broke in it and I never did fix it so it just sets in a drawer. It was the first handgun I owned, bought slightly used about mid 1970s.

Thread