Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 27th, 2009 #1
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Default Black Ronin Short Sword......get one.

Let me start out by saying that I am a collector of bladed weapons. From small pocket knives to swords.

yesterday I received my Black Ronin Ninja short sword and I must say that I don't think I have ever gotten so much blade for the money. At 30 bucks this is easily the best deal around. (30 bucks included the shipping)

The sword is made from one solid piece of 440 stainless steel, tinted black to avoid being a beacon at night.

The blade is 17.25 inches and comes pretty damn sharp, overall length is just under 27 inches. The handle is wrapped tightly with nylon cordage, and the hilt while not at a sharp needle point is pointed just enough to put a nice dent in someones skull.

It comes with a solid plastic sheath that is comfy worn on the back or the hip (attached to the leg). The weapon is balanced perfectly for one handed use.

I took this blade out into my back yard this morning and used it to hack down some thick brush I have and it cut through it like butter.

I am giving this one a thumbs up and I highly recommend it for self defense, camping or even to display because it does look nice too.

It's made by United Cutlery, model number UC1184

Old June 27th, 2009 #2
Axel Faaborg

Man, let's see how it stands up when you try to sharpen it.

I used to have that sword(or one very, very similar,) bought from Bud K when I was a kid. Worked ok for like the first few hours I was playing around with it, but once it got dull, it stayed dull.

As an aside, all you fine folks should stay away from the Woodman's Pal. It's got a decent edge to it, but the ergonomics are just horrendous. I had it with my a few weeks ago up in the woods and did not perform well at all. If you want something good for the woods, look into the Gerber curved machete. A fantastic tool and would be an absolutely DEVASTATING weapon.

Old June 28th, 2009 #3
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Faaborg View Post
Man, let's see how it stands up when you try to sharpen it.

I used to have that sword(or one very, very similar,) bought from Bud K when I was a kid. Worked ok for like the first few hours I was playing around with it, but once it got dull, it stayed dull.

As an aside, all you fine folks should stay away from the Woodman's Pal. It's got a decent edge to it, but the ergonomics are just horrendous. I had it with my a few weeks ago up in the woods and did not perform well at all. If you want something good for the woods, look into the Gerber curved machete. A fantastic tool and would be an absolutely DEVASTATING weapon.

There are many copies of this same sword for half the price. It's 440 stainless, which means it should be easy to sharpen, I will need to sharpen it more often than a high carbon blade but I am REALLY pleased with this for the money. 440c is 440c.....It does not matter if its a pocket knife or a sword, its easy to sharpen.

Old June 29th, 2009 #4
Malleus
Let them eat globaloney...

Lightbulb

I was looking at those earlier and I decided against that particular one, in part because it is stainless steel. Stainless is only about 65% as strong as regular carbon steel*, and any sword you see made out of stainless is for decoration only, not for combat use.

Here's what happens when you try to work with one of those swords:

If you have to use that sword get at least one more for a backup. And don't expect to chop anything heaver than a few weeds or light brush with it.

Much better to have the blade made out of a carbon steel, i.e. 4140 or 4150, D2, O1, A1, etc. Aim for something that is a minimum 45 hardness on the Rockwell C scale. You might pay $100 but you'll get a lot more durable battle-ready sword that you can readily use to literally disarm a home invader and it won't snap on the first swing.

Good luck.

*Consult the Machinery's Handbook if you don't believe me.

Rising again soon...

Old June 30th, 2009 #5
Axel Faaborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus View Post

Much better to have the blade made out of a carbon steel, i.e. 4140 or 4150, D2, O1, A1, etc. Aim for something that is a minimum 45 hardness on the Rockwell C scale. You might pay $100 but you'll get a lot more durable battle-ready sword that you can readily use to literally disarm a home invader and it won't snap on the first swing.
Since you mentioned de-limbing invaders....

Old July 20th, 2009 #6
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
You will have great difficulty finding a sword for $100 that is not in the class of a "wall-hanger." That is, one that should be viewed only but never, ever swung. The centrifugal force created by that swing causes many of those cheap mall-ninja swords to break at the inadequate excuse for a tang.

Honestly. a decent $100 sword is like a decent $75 pistol or a decent $400 car.

Here's a place to start for some background.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/index.html

I have found the most durable economy swords to be Generation 2.

Old July 20th, 2009 #7
Malleus
Let them eat globaloney...

Lightbulb

Point well taken.

I've seen quite a few wakazashi swords in a 1045, etc. available for $100 or so, which is why I mentioned that price. I should have been more specific.

My feeling is that you'll want the shorter reach of a short slicer so you can effectively defend yourself if you are in a tight spot like a hallway or in a room packed full of stuff. I'm in an older home, so this is definitely the case. The "Gross Messer" is a kick-arse blade, but it is a bit too big to really build up a powerful stroke with unless you have a really high ceiling. You'll get it stuck in the wall or ceiling on the upstroke, and then you're really in trouble.

You'll probably also want a sword with a point on the end for thrusting/stabbing as the Coup de grâce, so this might rule out the wakazashi. That's just my 2 cents worth, and I'm sure your situation may be different.

Go with what works best for you, but for the love of Pete, avoid stainless steel blades like the plague. They will fail on the second strike if not the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post
You will have great difficulty finding a sword for $100 that is not in the class of a "wall-hanger." ...

Rising again soon...

Old July 20th, 2009 #8
ray bateson
baппed

If the question is what sword to use for home defense, I’d need to pick the gladius, preferably mainz pattern. You don’t have the space to swing a longsword in your house, but you can swing a gladius in most rooms and it cuts well. It’s also an excellent stabbing sword for use in tight places. The shortness of the gladius gives it some of the desirable handling characteristics of a knife, without compromising its robustness as a heavy combat weapon. I imagine the intimidation factor is pretty high as well.

Old July 20th, 2009 #9
OTPTT
Banned

The preferable home defense accessory. (12g)

Old July 26th, 2009 #10
cillian

For a hack and slash weapon I'd go with the Iberian falcata.

Old July 26th, 2009 #11
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
It is said that the modern falcata has its foundation in the ancient Greek kopis, which in turn took a bit of a journey eastward where it evolved into the kukri. Blade conformation, at least, would seem to give credence to this. The falcata tends to be a bit more of an "all or nothing" fight-stopping weapon, much like a kukri, but with more blade, very much "in your face" brutal, dismembering weapon. Definitely on my list of "to get soon..." is the generation2 model, there's a short review here... http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/celtic-sword.html

Old August 10th, 2009 #12
Georgie

Looks pretty cool but lots of crap being heaped up on it...
How about a machete from cold steel?
http://www.coldsteel.com/machetes.html

It'll be kind of like a sword. Anyone have any ideas on a good one? Really liking one of those magnum kukris. Long reach, sharp point and good chopping power I believe. Then again I guess those nigger pangas look devastating in case you ever need to take on hotentots.

Old August 10th, 2009 #13
Georgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post
Not sure what effect it would have on hottentot skulls but check out the magnum kukri in relation to the above.

Old August 11th, 2009 #14
Freodheric Jameson
Reconquista Revanchist

It's not so the steel type as it is the heat treatment on it. 440 stainless can be an excellent steel. Edge retention may not be great, but come on, you're not going to use a sword for camping most likely, and short of a zombie uprising, not for everyday carry either. It's in-home self defense. and for the price, the Black Ronin should serve the purpose admirably. Sure, you can get an excellent sword from Cold Steel, but not for less than $200.

Also, I would recomment a great book; "Street Sword" by Phil Elmore. It is a short book dealing with swords as personal defensive weapons, as opposed to oriental items of veneration like the majority of sword manuals.

Old August 13th, 2009 #15
John Calrone

I am proud to say I'm Jewish, and that you people do nothing to scare me, nothing at all. You see, we Jews know exactly what we're doing. Even Hitler couldn't beat us. Now we have nuclear weapons, if Hitler couldn't what makes you think you can? We defeated Hitler in the end, using the foolish Russian communists to our advantage, we used the Americans, we used the British, what makes You different? You seem to think that you are in control. The Jews are using you, and the funny part? You don't even know it, you probably don't even believe me! We created you, albeit indirectly, to give the average person something to find too radical, honestly, do you think we'd even let you exist if it were otherwise? The Jew's are extremely powerful, influential, and wealthy, we could have this website shut down in an instant if it suited us. But it doesn't, you play your part, so stupidly in fact, that even after I tell you this, you still will. There's a reason we are God's chosen people, and there's a reason we are winning in our mission to destroy the White Man, and your contributing your part very nicely, just like Obama, Bin Laden, Al Queda, and those imbeciles in Russia.
Soon we will finish, and thousands of years of hard work, plotting, and coercing will fall together nicely to permanently your so-called superior race. Just think, we could already exterminate everyone of you Nazis, why haven't we? We certainly know about you, we have the nuclear weapons and the influence to do it, and all we need to say is, "They were endangering are life, remember the Holocaust?" And we'd be pardoned. You can't even convince your own people that they are on their way to extinction, what chance to you stand against us?

Old August 18th, 2009 #16
Jack W.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Calrone View Post
I am proud to say I'm Jewish, and that you people do nothing to scare me, nothing at all. You see, we Jews know exactly what we're doing. Even Hitler couldn't beat us. Now we have nuclear weapons, if Hitler couldn't what makes you think you can? We defeated Hitler in the end, using the foolish Russian communists to our advantage, we used the Americans, we used the British, what makes You different? You seem to think that you are in control. The Jews are using you, and the funny part? You don't even know it, you probably don't even believe me! We created you, albeit indirectly, to give the average person something to find too radical, honestly, do you think we'd even let you exist if it were otherwise? The Jew's are extremely powerful, influential, and wealthy, we could have this website shut down in an instant if it suited us. But it doesn't, you play your part, so stupidly in fact, that even after I tell you this, you still will. There's a reason we are God's chosen people, and there's a reason we are winning in our mission to destroy the White Man, and your contributing your part very nicely, just like Obama, Bin Laden, Al Queda, and those imbeciles in Russia.
Soon we will finish, and thousands of years of hard work, plotting, and coercing will fall together nicely to permanently your so-called superior race. Just think, we could already exterminate everyone of you Nazis, why haven't we? We certainly know about you, we have the nuclear weapons and the influence to do it, and all we need to say is, "They were endangering are life, remember the Holocaust?" And we'd be pardoned. You can't even convince your own people that they are on their way to extinction, what chance to you stand against us?
lol this guy cannot be serious.

Your, "remember the holocaust game will soon be at an end". And if you guys want these sites up so badly, then why do you work so hard to end free speech?

As for all these swords guys, I do not understand why not more talk about firearms. A sword would be good if you are a felon and you cannot legally obtain a firearm atm. While I have no knowledge about swords, the gladius seems best for home defense in my mind.

I prefer the Mossberg 590 however. It is my opinion that every last White Nationalist on this earth should own a firearm, although that is not a possibility atm. However any WN American is absolutely nuts not to buy at least a few. Shoot a 200 dollar hi point lifetime warranty carbine is better than nothing.

Old August 18th, 2009 #17
elbwgreez

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Calrone View Post
Drunken internet boast alert!

Anyway, seems like a machete provides a nice bang for the buck. Even if it gets dull it has weight behind it, unlike a cheap Chinese sword, and is more likely to do damage. It's more of a workhorse.

Old August 29th, 2009 #18
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Anyway, seems like a machete provides a nice bang for the buck. Even if it gets dull it has weight behind it, unlike a cheap Chinese sword, and is more likely to do damage. It's more of a workhorse.
This is true, if it's also true that more historically-based sharpened objects are better cutters. The difference shouldn't matter except to those who insist on having as much of an edge as possible, so to speak...

I like tramontina machetes.

Old August 29th, 2009 #19
Justin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bateson View Post

Honestly. a decent $100 sword is like a decent $75 pistol or a decent $400 car.
Where the hell can you buy a pistol for $75????????
As for defensive blades, I'll stick with my 12'' bowie. No idea what brand/type of steel, but I hear BudK has a nice selection. Only cost $12 at a little shop in my old town.
Only sharpened it once and I use it every time I go camping/hunting. A little heavy in the hand, but it's got a HUGE nut on the hilt. I'm itchy to find out what that nut would do to a niggers head...

Old August 29th, 2009 #20
ray bateson
baппed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
As for defensive blades, I'll stick with my 12'' bowie. No idea what brand/type of steel, but I hear BudK has a nice selection. Only cost $12 at a little shop in my old town.
you must be joking.

Thread