VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 7th, 2010 #1
Igor Alexander

Igor Alexander
Default Foyle's War

Anyone familiar with this show?

Amazon.com: Foyle's War: Set 6: Michael Kitchen, Anthony Howell: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Foyle's War: Set 6: Michael Kitchen, Anthony Howell: Movies & TV

Quote:
Returning for a three-episode encore, this enormously popular, award-winning mystery series stars Michael Kitchen (Out of Africa) as Detective Chief Inspector Christopher Foyle, a police investigator in the British coastal community of Hastings. In the immediate aftermath of World War II, Foyle finds his longed-for retirement interrupted by cases involving international intrigue, military racism, and an accused traitor all too willing to go to the gallows. [I assume that a "traitor" in the "immediate aftermath of World War II" would be either someone who was against the war or someone who supported or was sympathetic towards the Axis. -IA]

Also starring Honeysuckle Weeks and Anthony Howell, and featuring Max Brown, Christopher Good, Tim Pigott-Smith, Charlotte Riley, Sam Spruell, Andrew Scott, David Yelland, and Anastasia Hille.

THE MYSTERIES
THE RUSSIAN HOUSE--The escape of a Russian POW sets off a chain of events that leads to murder and rekindles a conflict between Foyle and his former subordinate.
KILLING TIME--With African American GIs waiting to return Stateside, racial tension, jealousy, and greed combine to create a potentially explosive situation in Hastings.
THE HIDE--As DI Milner investigates the murder of a young woman in Brighton, Foyle probes the motives of an accused traitor who refuses to defend himself.
Sounds like the usual blatantly propagandistic garbage the BBC has been pumping out for the last 10 years, so I'm going to assume it's a BBC program.

Old April 7th, 2010 #2
steven clark

steven clark

I've watched the Foyle series before. It's actually pretty good drama and the historical period is recreated well, and Foyle is a good character. There is a lot of subtle propaganda, but also gray stuff. Foyle investigates a pro-nazi group just at the start of the war, once a Spanish ambassador uses his post to spy and Foyle can't touch him.

Another case is just after the war a Jewish refugee kills a German POW after news of Auschwitz comes out...but it's a lot more complicated than it sounds.

On the whole, I think it's a good drama, but like I said, be aware of obvious PC between the lines, espcially with the blacks, which I havn't seen. There is nigger worship all over the BBC, so I'll expect the worst. A new series has some black in Britain, with a white girl dating one.
And, yes, there's ANOTHER remake of Anne Frank.

Tags
bbc, bbc bias

Thread